Plumbing Inspector COMPETITION #21-92 DEPARTMENT:
Temporary Part-TimeNO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387HOURS OF WORK:
35 hours every 2 weeks; 18 monthsSALARY:
$41.16 to $48.64 per hour, benefits + 10% in lieu of vacation and statutory holidays
This is an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated Plumbing Inspector to join our dynamic Building Services Team. This is specialized technical work of a regulatory nature involving the examination of mechanical and civil plans to ensure proposed development projects, alterations and additions to existing buildings and structures comply with the provincial building code and local municipal by-laws prior to the issuance of building, plumbing and sprinkler permits. Reporting to the Manager, Building Inspections, you are responsible for examining a variety of plans and specifications; permit issuance; approving or rejecting inspected work; inspecting residential, commercial, industrial and institutional projects to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations and standards; investigating and enforcing corrections and changes; preparing and presenting evidence in court; interpreting construction, alteration and repair requirements; discussing with and advising contractors, engineers, architects, owners, and the public on required changes or corrections; processing permits, preparing reports and correspondence and handling in-person and telephone enquiries; performing periodic inspections of underground utility and Greater Vancouver Sewage and Drainage District installations to ensure that the work conforms to Municipal regulations, standards and safety requirements; reporting discrepancies to a supervisor; performing related work as required. If you have the following characteristics and qualifications, we want to hear from you!
- You have completed Grade 12 supplemented by the successful completion of an apprenticeship in and qualification as a Journeyman Plumber.
- You have Level 1 Plumbing Official with BOABC. Level 2 Plumbing or Level 1, 2 or 3 Building Official would be considered an asset.
- You have thorough knowledge of plumbing, site servicing, hydronic heating, sewer, drainage and sprinkler standards, codes and by-laws applicable to all types of construction.
- You have the ability to perform inspections related to the cross connection control program.
- You have thorough knowledge of the methods, practices, and materials used in the plumbing trade.
- You have the ability to examine and interpret plans and specifications, recognize technical requirements, and suggest and enforce changes and corrections required.
- You have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with owners, engineers, architects, contractors, tradesman, and the public and to enforce rules and ordinances with tact and diplomacy.
- You have the ability to prepare and review concise reports, perform clerical duties and prepare and present evidence in Court as required.
- You have the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- You have a valid driver's licence and ability and willingness to drive for business purposes.
- You have the ability to pass and maintain a satisfactory Police Information Check.
Apply by sending your cover letter and resume in one document
quoting the competition number to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, e-mail to email@example.com
using the following format in the subject line: LAST NAME First Name #21-92.
This competition will be kept open until filled.
To support a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community;
women, Indigenous Peoples, racialized individuals,
persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute to diversity of our workforce, are encouraged to express their interest.
New Westminster is on the unceded and unsurrendered land of the Halq'eméylem-speaking peoples.
It is acknowledged by the City that colonialism has made invisible their histories and connections to the land.
We are learning and building relationships with the people whose lands we are on.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.