Pathologists' Assistant 2, Royal Columbian Hospital
New Westminster, BC
The Pathologists' Assistant II reports to the Team Lead or designate and works without general supervision (WWGS) when performing a variety of duties required with the gross examination of surgical and biopsy pathology specimens and post-mortem examinations for medical cases under the direction of a pathologist.. What you'll do
What you bring:
- Prepare gross examination and completes dissection and dictation of surgical specimens including data collection and specimen receipt processes according to established policies and procedures. Obtains clinical history, laboratory data, x-rays and scans when indicated.
- Prepare tissues for microscopic examination for intraoperative consultation, including orientation, cutting and staining.
- Perform post-mortem examinations for medical purposes that may include external examination; evisceration; describing gross anatomical features; dissection; recording of organ weights and preparing tissues for histological processing.
- Organize clinical information and correct legal authorization for post mortem examination.
- Maintain necessary and accurate records of work done by using worksheets, unit sheets, quality control records and other report forms either manually or electronically using the Laboratory Information System (LIS) or other necessary computer systems or programs.
- Certification or eligible for certification with Canadian Certification Council of Pathologists' Assistants (CCCPA) certification.
- Graduation from an approved Master's Pathologist Assistant Program.
- Two (2) years' recent surgical and autopsy pathology experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
You are able to demonstrate your ability to:
What we bring:
- Integrates best practice and current research evidence to support professional practice decisions and actions.
- Communicate effectively with clients, families, the public, medical staff and the members of the interdisciplinary team using, oral written and computer communication means.
- Effectively resolve conflict.
- Commit to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- Demonstrate knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth and development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Regular, Full Time Wage:
$41.04 to $51.27 per hour Location:
330 East Columbia Street, New Westminster, V3L 3W7 Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Hours of Work:
Rotating days and hours Requisition #
143623 As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021. What we do
Provincial Laboratory Medicine Services (PLMS) provides laboratory testing at 31 sites across the lower mainland and central coast of BC, including acute care hospital laboratories and specialty laboratories.
PLMS is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and PLMS Labs are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments' unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey-one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate. ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at
The internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264
. Please note regular business hours are Monday - Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.