OTR TIRE TECHNICIAN - GREENHILLS MINE
Kal Tire is Canada's largest independent tire dealer and one of North America's largest commercial tire dealers. Kal Tire's Mining Tire Group is a leader in mining tire service and supply, servicing more than 150 mine sites across five continents. The company has warehouse facilities strategically located across Canada servicing over 250 Kal Tire retail and commercial stores. Kal Tire owns and operates six earthmover retreading facilities located in Canada, the United Kingdom, West Africa, Chile and Mexico. The company employs more than 6,500 team members.
The Greenhills mine is located eight kilometres northeast of the community of Elkford, in southeastern British Columbia. The mine site is comprised of 11,806 hectares of coal lands of which approximately 2,265 hectares have been mined or are scheduled for mining. CORE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform tire service on customer equipment, the Kal Tire way
- Assist mine maintenance staff as required.
- Conduct appropriate maintenance on tools and equipment.
- Maintain appropriate tire inspection and maintenance program.
- Respond to after-hours call-outs as directed by your supervisor.
- Demonstrate and promote best practices and continuous improvement in everything we do.
Operational / Technical
- Dismount and mount tires for a variety of vehicles for the mining tire industry.
- Ensure that all tires are mounted safely and according to load requirements.
- Perform equipment checks and calibrations.
- Install and remove wheels from any type of vehicle.
- Mount and demount different types of tire and rim assemblies
- Balance light vehicle tire and rim assembly.
- Perform repairs to tires and tubes.
- Perform Inspections and determine the suitability of wheel components to remain in service.
- Operate heavy-duty tire servicing equipment and tools.
- Conduct maintenance checks and ensure all work is done according to Kal Tire's work and safety standards.
- Complete required reporting and logging of data, as required.
- Ensure the work area is maintained in an orderly, clean, and safe manner.
- Assist in managing inventory for all operational requirements.
Health, Safety, and Environment
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
- Ensure compliance with safety regulations and requirements.
- Ensure that hygiene standards are maintained in the facility.
- Report hazards, unsafe work conditions and behaviours to your Supervisor/lead hand, to eliminate and/or mitigate the risk to acceptable levels.
- Report all incidents and injuries according to procedures
- Assist and co-operate with the site safety representative to resolve safety issues identified.
- Use and maintain Personal Protective Equipment at all times.
- Perform vehicle Pre-start checks according to procedures.
- Actively participate in regular meetings and inspections in order to promote and improve safety in the workplace and document accordingly.
- Read and confirm incident notices and other safety information conveyed to all personnel.
- Comply with site emergency evacuation procedures.
The Key Performance Indicators are evolving and currently include:
- All safety standards are followed and work is performed without incident to team, equipment or tires
- Correct and safe use of tire fitting tools and equipment are performed
- Tires are repaired efficiently to meet the needs of the customer.
- Team member contributes to the smooth operations of the Kal Tire Shop.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- At least two years of related experience with direct experience as a tire fitter preferred.
- OTR service training and certifications desired. Basic tire fitting skills - Tire Fitter Levels 1 & 2 preferred.
- Experience operating and maintaining tire manipulators, forklifts, and service trucks.
- Experience working in an environment where safety procedures are a key part of daily operations.
- Able to physically perform the duties of an OTR Tire Technician safely.
- Able to obtain and maintain all applicable licenses, certificates as required to perform the duties as required to work at mine sites.
- Able to perform mechanically related tasks.
- Able to follow all safety procedures and work in a safe manner.
- Able to work in a results-oriented, fast-paced environment as part of a team.
- Must be a self-starter and willing to take the initiative, solve problems, be able and willing to work without direct supervision, and be willing to attend appropriate training sessions.
- Understand tire failure causes and analysis.
- Good communication skills and ability to express themselves well both verbally and in writing.
- Good literacy and numeracy skills.
- Secondary school diploma or equivalent.
- Additional certification and training preferred.
- Valid Driver's License and ability to comply with relevant insurance policies.