Work in BC’s most culturally diverse and urban school district, Vancouver School District No. 39. Set in one of the world’s most livable cities, Vancouver is a community-minded district seeking talented educators, progressive leaders, and skilled support staff to enrich the learning experience of Vancouver’s 50,000 students.
The VSB Welcomes Applications for :
On-Call Baker & On-Call Baker with Red Seal (Trades Qualified)
Baker Salary: $24.86/hour (+14% in lieu of benefits)
TQ Baker Salary : $27.90/hour (+14% in lieu of benefits)
In this role, you will:
- Under the general direction of the teacher(s) responsible for the Culinary Arts Program, plan, demonstrate techniques and supervise students and apprentices in the preparation of a variety of baked goods and yeast products, according to daily menu requirements
- Under the direction of the Supervisor of Food Services, plan and produce the required food for school nutrition program in collaboration with the Cook and kitchen support staff.
- Ensure that there is proper safety and sanitation in the handling of food and equipment
- Assist with the planning of menus and recipe development
- Assist in the evaluation of students and provide feedback to the teacher
- Place orders for supplies, including determining the quantity and timing of delivery of perishables
- Supervise the activities in the main kitchen during lunch to ensure that portion size guidelines are followed
- Clean and supervise the cleaning and sanitizing of kitchen equipment
- Clean walk-in coolers and freezers
- Maintain kitchen utensils and equipment in good working order
- Assist in meal service to students during lunch and as required
- Perform other related duties as required
- Completion of Grade 12
- Valid Food Safe Level 1 Certificate
- Extensive commercial baking experience required with experience in collaborating with a kitchen team under general direction from a Supervisor.
- Candidates with baking and menu planning experience preferred
- Completion of an instructor's program in baking is an asset
- Certificate from an accredited baking course (eg. Vancouver Community College, Malaspina College, Dubrelle Culinary Institute, Pacific Culinary Institute)
- For Trades Qualified (TQ) Baker Position: British Columbia Trades Qualification Certificate for Baking (T.Q.) or an Apprenticeship Completion Certificate with a Red Seal
Your application must include:
- Cover Letter
- Three reference names (supervisors only), email addresses and telephone numbers
- Letters of reference are optional
This posting is ongoing until filled. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.