Position Overview / Scope of Responsibilities:
The Occupational Health & Safety Officer (OH&S Officer) is responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating and implementing all occupational health and safety activities in order to safeguard Country Lumber and its’ employees, while complying with all internal and external rules and regulations. Our primary focus is to find a person who fits in well with our team, exhibits a positive attitude, self-starter and professionalism.
- Regularly monitor safety compliance of employees; conduct yard inspections and institute remedial action if required;
- Maintain and review records and monitor accidents/incidents for accuracy, frequencies and provide feedback to employees and management;
- Identify and assess possible risks and hazards in regards to workplace safety;
- Conduct, review and maintain annual safety related training of employees and new employee safety orientations;
- Report, file, investigate and dispute WorkSafeBC claims;
- Hold separate crew talks with each of the following groups: drivers; yard staff; and forklift operators;
- Implement safety controls in place and provide advice, along with investigating accidents and incidents, to employees and management;
- Chair quarterly meetings with First Aid Attendants, reviewing incidents, reports and claims, along with maintaining training records for attendants;
- Facilitate monthly meetings for the Joint Safety Committee and provide monthly yard safety inspections;
- Schedule annual hearing tests and flu vaccinations;
- Promote safe and healthy ways of working by developing and implementing occupational health and safety systems including reviewing policies, procedures and manuals;
- Operating trucks and their equipment with capacities of more than 3-tons to transport, deliver supplies and materials, while securing cargo and trucks during transport, and at worksites;
- Operating forklift to build loads with accuracy of all lumber grades; and
- Other duties and responsibilities, as assigned by management.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- OH&S diploma or CSO qualifications required;
- Occupational First Aid Level 2, an asset;
- Class 3 or 1 and/or Forklift certification, an asset; and
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in a health and safety position, ideally in construction and/or trucking industry.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with, knowledge and understanding of WorkSafe BC Occupational Health and Safety Regulations;
- Proficient with MS Office products;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Discretion and respect for confidentiality and privacy;
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to diffuse conflict situations; and
- Must have flexible schedule with ability to work some Saturdays.
We thank all applicants and only those that have been short-listed will be contacted.
Posted: September 2, 2016
Closes:November 1, 2016