Officer, Human Resources (H&S)
ABOUT THE COMPANY
New β Innovation Ltd. (NBI) is a preclinical stage life sciences organization in Burnaby, BC. Leveraging on our expertise in research and development, we are transforming drug discovery into clinical applications for unmet medical needs. We have ongoing collaborations with top universities worldwide on various research projects, with distinguished achievements in the areas of oncology, neurology, ischemic and hypoxic conditions.
Our state-of-the-art GMP manufacturing facilities and laboratories in Greater Vancouver are home to a growing team of professionals who are inspired to develop advanced life-saving hemoglobin-based therapeutics for the well-being of people.
Reporting to the Generalist/Manager, HR the incumbent will contribute to the successful running of the Health & Safety function as well as providing support to the HR department. The Officer, HR (H&S) will support activities designed to provide a safe and compliant facility (including biological research, manufacturing and logistics) through oversight of the Occupational Health and Safety Program. The successful candidate will be part of a collaborative HR team who supports our managers and employees by building trust and providing timely advice and support.
- Support the HR Generalist/Manager to develop and refine the NBI Occupational Health & Safety Management System to ensure compliance with all safety regulations and requirements, including Worksafe BC, Public Health Agency of Canada, and OSHA
- Attend the Joint OH&S Committee meetings to oversee action items
- Work collaboratively with departments to promote compliance and responsible behaviours as required by company policy and health, safety and environmental standards, codes, regulations and best practices
- Influence and encourage adoption of safe work practices and drive the company safety culture
- Research and recommend improvements for H&S policies, practices and programs. Assist with employee and manager queries regarding company H&S policies and processes
- Prepare H&S Standard Operating Procedures
- Source and coordinate H&S related training for the organisation, including assessing needs, sourcing vendors, scheduling training and recording attendance
- Streamline accident reporting response, route cause analysis, and improvement practices, and submit all relevant Worksafe BC reports in a timely manner
- Assess and Identify safety gaps in the Safety Management System and inform management of compliance risks, issues and opportunities for improvement.
- Conduct HR new hire orientation and in-house (WHMIS and young/ new workers) training as required
- Ensure all health and safety documentation and filing is complete and up-to-date, including accident and incident reporting, training and certifications, and any relevant employee assessments
- Submit all relevant WorksafeBC reports in a timely manner
- Complete H&S reporting and data analysis to analyze the effectiveness of current practices and make recommendations for continuous improvement
- Facilitate return to work plans
- Ensure team members are aware of job hazards and work with safety in mind at all times
- Work with other HR team members to research, develop, and facilitate company/employee programs/initiatives such as health & wellness, CSR activities, job fairs, annual holiday party, seasonal celebrations, etc.
- Provide support to the HR team as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- A diploma/certificate or degree in Occupational Health & Safety, Industrial Hygiene or Industrial Sciences
- Familiarity with biosafety/biohazard materials
- Able to present health and safety in a positive, practical manner to facilitate strong relationships amongst management and staff
- Prior experience performing safety audits, inspections, investigations, presentations and reports would be an asset
- Knowledge or experience of establishing a Safety Management System
- Resourceful, flexible and adaptable
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills. Able to effectively communicate and interact at different levels. Provide regular follow up to keep stakeholders informed
- Maintain positive working relationships with employees and management team
- Exercise tact, good judgment, and discretion; maintain confidentiality of files, personal information, and other matters, as appropriate
- Must possess a valid First Aid certificate
WHY JOIN NBI?
The best reason is because of our wonderful people and great work environment. If you are looking for a career with meaning and purpose, it’s hard to beat working in life sciences. We provide an attractive compensation and benefits package which recognizes people for their contributions, and comprehensive training and career development opportunities which support our employees’ growth with the company.
If you are interested in joining our team, we encourage you to APPLY today!
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply through our online application system, found at: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=d2be7702-ad25-4a0b-8f2e-a98f72b7158b&jobId=83105&lang=en_CA&source=CC3&ccId=19000101_000001