Nurse Practitioner - Moricetown/smithers (permanent Full Time)
Reference ID: 05230092
The Nurse Practitioner is responsible and accountable for the comprehensive assessment of
patients/clients/residents including diagnosing diseases, disorders, and conditions. The Nurse
Practitioner initiates treatment including health care management, therapeutic interventions and
prescribes medications in accordance with the statutory and regulatory standards, limits, and conditions,
and employer policies and procedures. The Nurse Practitioner provides professional guidance to other
health professionals and practices autonomously and interdependently within the context of an
interdisciplinary health care team, making referrals to specialist physicians and others as appropriate.
The position collaborates with patients/clients/residents and other health professionals to identify and
assess trends and patterns that have implications for patients/clients/residents, families and communities;
develops and implements population and evidence based strategies to improve health and participates in
policy-making activities that influence health services and practices. The position participates in peer
review and self review to evaluate the outcome of services at the patient/client/resident, community and
Completion of CRNBC approved Master's degree level nurse practitioner program.
- Successful completion of both the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) examination and
the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE).
- Eligible for registration as a Nurse Practitioner with the College of Registered Nurses of British
- Recent relevant clinical nursing experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with patients/clients/residents and families about health
findings, diagnosis, treatment, self-care and prognosis.
- Ability to collaborate, consult with and formally refer patients/clients/residents to physicians and other
health professionals when appropriate.
- Ability to critically assess and evaluate health research literature to determine best practices; ability to
introduce education and evidence based research.
- Ability to assess and recognize population health trends; ability to plan and implement strategies for
population based prevention and health promotion.
- Ability to implement and evaluate planned change.
- Ability to supervise others and evaluate the care they deliver.
- Ability to lead a team and work within a team.
- Ability to self-direct, interact, and adapt effectively with other professionals in complex, dynamic
- Ability to transfer knowledge, teach, coach and mentor others.
- Ability to identify and respond appropriately to legal and ethical issues that may arise in
- Ability to self-assess performance and assume responsibility and accountability for own professional
development, educational or consultative assistance when appropriate.
Smithers is located in the picturesque Bulkley Valley surrounded by three mountain ranges which provide a backdrop for the town's Alpine setting. The main industries include forestry, tourism, transportation and agriculture. Smithers offers affordable housing and natural splendor that support a balanced lifestyle. Smithers offers golf courses, swimming, curling and skating rinks, fitness trails, mountain biking, hiking, canoeing, kayaking, rock climbing, horseback riding, river rafting, snowmobiling, and waterskiing. The population of Smithers is approximately 5,414. There are three elementary schools, one secondary school and one alternate format school for grades 9 -12.
Posted: January 20, 2017
Closes:March 6, 2017