Powertech Labs Inc, BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving power utilities, oil and gas companies, automotive, and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. We operate as a separate, unregulated, for profit, commercial company. In addition to providing innovative R&D, consulting and testing services to BC Hydro, Powertech provides the majority of its services to a large and diverse array of clients across North America, and around the world. Powertech is located on an 11-acre campus in Surrey, British Columbia and has 200+ employees. Our reach and reputation are global, and we are recognized as a leader in technology, testing, and power systems software. Our location places us close to BC Hydro, 25 kilometers from the US border, and at a gateway between Asian and North American markets. Finally, we are located in one of the most desirable locations on the globe, with all the natural beauty of British Columbia on our doorstep. We call this home.
Powertech’s brand and reputation command a dominant position in the power industry. To better serve our clients, we group our services under six market-orientated sectors: Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Substations, Power Systems, Grid Modernization and Advanced Transportation. Powertech’s competitive advantage is enhanced through close collaboration between all sectors.
The company's staff consists of professional engineers, scientists, technologists and technicians from a wide range of disciplines. These highly skilled individuals have access to 21 well-equipped, specialized laboratories. Together, the resources allow us to offer a range of forward-looking technology services to help clients advance technology, solve complex problems, and maximize asset performance.
Finally, we are customer-focused: To ensure our customers have high confidence in our services, we attract the best resources, are highly responsive and constantly strive to improve the quality and value of our services.
Powertech has an exciting and challenging opportunity for an NDE Specialist 2 to join a team of professionals based at Powertech Labs in Surrey, B.C.
Please note: We encourage applicants with less experience and CGSB certifications to apply and be considered for developmental roles.
The Generation Technology and Testing business unit provides routine laboratory and field testing services, including inspection and safety equipment testing, condition assessment, generator testing and modelling, diagnostic testing of generator and motor stator bars and coils, non-destructive testing, material testing, and finite element analysis. Consulting and investigation offerings include asset management studies, failure investigation, and expert witness testimony. This business unit consists of laboratories for Applied Materials and Inspection Services.
This position works in the Inspections Services group. This is a hands-on technical role and is an excellent opportunity for someone who has strong non-destructive testing and evaluation experience to perform non-destructive testing on a variety of manufactured and processed components and equipment.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Plans, organizes, adapts, modifies and applies a variety of laboratory and field non-destructive tests, processes, methods and techniques to equipment and components to identify flaws and/or related manufacturing/fabrication processes that have caused or may cause failures; plans, organizes, and coordinates non-destructive testing projects
- Develops and writes reports on test results by interpreting results, developing forms and supporting narratives and preparing recommendations to ensure codes and standards are met
- Examines and assesses results of non-destructive test methods and techniques performed by lower-level staff including deciding upon the appropriateness and quality of test methods, techniques applied, results achieved and ensuring that related codes and standards are met
- Participates in clients' training courses by testing and examining welds and providing technical explanations on probable defects; liaises with others within the industry to secure future work for Powertech
- Maintains unit and mobile laboratory inventories; maintains/manages records and report database
- Provides technical direction, advice and guidance to junior staff on the feasibility and appropriateness of using various types of test apparatus and techniques in the performance of particular non-destructive testing
- Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties that do not affect the rating of the job
Technical Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required:
- Excellent working knowledge of non-destructive testing principles and procedures
- Excellent working knowledge of how to inspect and test weld qualities, apply standards and related concepts of inspection and quality control methods
- Good working knowledge of how to apply and interpret results of application of test equipment, instruments and procedures such as radiography, ultrasonics, magnetic particles, eddy current, acoustic emissions and dye penetrant
Ability to identify possible common defects related to the manufacturing and fabricating process
- Good knowledge of engineering drawings
- Good knowledge of related safety and WHMIS regulations
- Good knowledge of how to maintain and calibrate radiographic instruments
- Good working knowledge of the principles of radiation control and the handling of radiographic instruments.
- Ability to prepare technical reports
- Ability to drive a vehicle with air brakes
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to demonstrate and instruct technical staff on specific testing techniques
- Excellent knowledge of related testing standards and procedures
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
Experience, Training and Education:
- Completion of a two year diploma in Non-Destructive Evaluation (NDE) from an accredited Institute of Technology; plus Level 2 Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB) certification in at least two of the five primary non-destructive testing (NDT) methods (liquid penetrant, magnetic particle, radiographic, ultrasonic, and eddy current); plus four (4) years of relevant experience
- OR completion of a two year diploma of technology in a field other than NDE from an accredited Institute of Technology, or formal trades qualification; plus Level 2 CGSB certification in at least two of the five primary NDT methods (liquid penetrant, magnetic particle, radiographic, ultrasonic, and eddy current); plus five (5) years of relevant experience
- OR completion of an Intermediate Certificate of Technology in NDE from an accredited Institute of Technology; plus Level 2 CGSB certification in at least two of the five primary NDT methods (liquid penetrant, magnetic particle, radiographic, ultrasonic, and eddy current); plus six (6) years of relevant experience
- Requires a valid Class 5 driver’s license
- Certification in or familiarity with Phase Array Ultrasonic Testing is highly desirable
- Ability to travel 50% of the time
- Ability to be away from home for periods of up to 2 weeks; most of the out of town field work is during the summer months
- Must be comfortable at heights above 10 feet
- Must be able to work in confined space
- Must be able to work unscheduled overtime (including weekends)
- Ability to perform all physical requirements of the role
Status: Full-Time Regular
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Compensation: Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package based on a healthy work/life balance.
Job ID: NDE22018.10
Close Date: Open until filled
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
To apply and to obtain more information on Powertech Labs Inc. visit our website at http://www.powertechlabs.com. You will find Careers under the About Us tab.
Posted: December 13, 2018
Closes: February 11, 2019