Internally job titled - Technical Superintendent
The Technical Superintendent, is responsible for creating detailed vessel design and construction information for Victoria Shipyards. The information includes 2D and 3D modeling, conceptual design, structural layouts, weight estimates and construction drawings that production departments follow during ship repair and conversion. The Technical Superintendent reports to the Director, Repair & Conversion Engineering and has no direct reports, however, will provide guidance and experience to more junior designers within the department. NOTE: Relocation supported for a successful candidate residing outside of British Columbia. Duties/Accountabilities
Education and Experience
- Logs and reviews technical drawings and information received for repair and conversion projects.
- Prepares design and construction drawings for vessel structure and outfit, using 2D and 3D CAD Modeling.
- Produces weight monitoring reports, dry dock support blocking arrangements and vessel stability information.
- Creates detailed work plans for production departments to follow during repair and conversion ie: hull, outfitting, etc.
- Assists in construction planning and scheduling.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or Naval Architecture.
- Minimum of 8 years technical experience in ship design, construction, repair and conversion. Experience in a shipyard production support role is an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Eligible for Canadian Security Clearance.
- Demonstration of exemplary business ethics, integrity and honesty in all situations.
- Excellent technical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent command of the English language, verbal and written.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD or other modelling software.
- Detail orientated.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities. Note: Unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted
Construction, Mining and Trades