Mental Health and Substance Use Intake Screener - Ford Mountain Correctional Centre, Chilliwack, Correctional Health Services, BC Mental Health and Substance Use ServicesHelp us identify mental health and substance use concerns so clients receive treatment.
In this role, you will:
- Provide services through an Indigenous cultural competency lens and within a trauma informed framework.
- Screen all newly admitted clients within 24 hours, assess urgency and prioritize new referrals in collaboration with the Health Care Manager and/or designates and BC Corrections officials.
- Use a standardized approach for screening and assessment. Ensure that screening and assessment procedures are responsive to trauma, symptoms of mood, anxiety, or post-traumatic stress disorder; evidence of recent injury; parenting status and skills; and identify needs such as prenatal care and birth control.
- Refer clients who have been identified to have a mental health and/or substance use concern for a more comprehensive assessment.
- Prepare admission histories, progress notes or flag risk and/or security concerns. Participate in clinical meetings, present new clients in rounds/case conferences, and/or provide input to the treatment team regarding strategies to support the inmate upon admission.
- Collaborate with other team members and participate in educational programs.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Social Work or a related allied heath discipline
- Two (2) years recent related experience in a mental health and/or substance use care setting working with offenders, forensic mental health patients and/or in secure health care settings or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Knowledge of the specific symptoms of major mental illnesses, substance use and/or concurrent disorders.
You have demonstrated abilities to:
About UsBC Mental Health & Substance Use Services
- Work well with and develop relationships with stakeholders.
- Problem solve, adjust to new or unexpected events and to deal effectively with conflict.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Understand of trauma informed practice.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Organize work and establish workload priorities.
- Administer CPR.
(BCMHSUS www.bcmhsus.ca) provides tertiary mental health and substance use services to adults across BC. BCMHSUS is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA.) PHSA
provides specialized health services to British Columbians, including cancer care, organ transplantation, pediatrics, emergency services, mental health and substance use services. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: https://jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
We hire on the basis of merit and encourage all qualified applicants to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences. We strive to create a safe and welcoming environment where everyone can come to work and be their best, authentic self.
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities
- Casual (0.01 FTE)
- Wage: $30.75 to $38.33 per hour
- Ford Mountain Correctional Centre, Chilliwack