Medical SecretaryVancouver General Hospital, LabsCasual, $22.98 p/h
Are you efficient and organized, with a keen eye for detail? Help our department run effectively so we can provide the support our staff need to deliver the best possible patient care.What you'll do
What you bring
- Provide secretarial support to team members of assigned area by typing a variety of technical and non-technical material such as medical reports, policy and procedure updates, reference letters, on-call schedules, labels, correspondence, forms, and spreadsheets by methods such as receiving work requisition, completing item according to instruction utilizing various wordprocessing and spreadsheet software packages to draft, format and provide graphic enhancement to material/spreadsheets and forwarding material to originator within established departmental time frames.
- Draft correspondence from verbal instruction and/or handwritten draft for review and signature by originator and/or composes and signs routine correspondence such as form letters when directed.
- Arrange meetings for medical staff by methods such as booking appointments, locating and booking meeting rooms, notifying applicable personnel and typing and circulating agenda(s) as required; attend meetings when designated by Supervisor to record proceedings, prepare minutes and forward to committee members in accordance with established format.
- Set up and maintain filing systems for a variety of information such as policies and procedures, laboratory data, and minutes by setting up computerized/hard files, updating and creating directories, lists and computerized spreadsheets, alphabetically filing material in hard files and indexing material as appropriate; purge old files and back up computerized files according to standard procedures. File slides, boxes, and requisitions as appropriate and retrieve slides, boxes, and report according to established procedures. Organize slides and blocks for rounds as required.
- Provide support for departmental activity relating to student/resident teaching and evaluations by methods such as taking registration information, preparing overheads or other visual aides utilizing wordprocessing and graphic software as well as compiling, collating and distributing teaching and evaluation materials as required.
- Make travel arrangements for designated personnel by performing duties such as contacting travel agents, confirming travel dates, obtaining itineraries, compiling information and forwarding to designated staff for approval.
- Identify supplies according to predetermined needs by checking stock, completing internal requisitions to order replacement items for supervisor's signature, verifying receipt of items and stocking shelves as required.
- Photocopy, fax and distribute material such as reports for personnel within Pathology & Laboratory Medicine by receiving items for duplication and operating photocopying or facsimile machine as required.
- Process incoming mail by performing duties such as opening and date stamping mail, forwarding to appropriate team members and preparing outgoing mail such as consults for pick-up.
- Perform other related duties as required.
What's in it for you
- Grade 12, medical terminology, plus two years' recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Ability to keyboard at 55 w.p.m.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.Job type
$22.98 per hour
Hours of work
106948What we do
Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.