Medical Secretary, PHSA Corporate, Vancouver BC As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
Within the context of a client service culture and under general supervision, provides secretarial and clerical support to various Pathology & Laboratory staff by performing duties such as typing a variety of technical and non-technical material utilizing word processing and spreadsheet software and templates, drafting correspondence from verbal instruction and/or handwritten draft, filing and retrieving slides/blocks/reports, arranging meetings for medical staff, and making travel arrangements as required. What you'll do
What you bring
- Provide secretarial support to team members of assigned area by typing a variety of technical and non-technical material such as medical reports, policy and procedure updates, reference letters, on-call schedules, labels, correspondence, forms, and spreadsheets by methods such as receiving work requisition, completing item according to instruction and utilizing various word processing and spreadsheet software packages and templates to draft, format and provide graphic enhancement to material/spreadsheets, and forwarding material to originator within established departmental time frames.
- Draft correspondence from verbal instruction and/or handwritten draft for review and signature by originator and/or composes and signs routine correspondence such as form letters when directed.
- Arrange meetings for medical staff by methods such as booking appointments, locating and booking meeting rooms, arranging for audio/visual equipment, notifying applicable personnel and typing and circulating agenda(s) as required; attend meetings when designated by Supervisor to record proceedings, prepare minutes and forward to committee members in accordance with established format.
- Set up and maintains filing systems for a variety of information such as policies and procedures, laboratory data, and minutes by setting up computerized/hard files, updating and creating directories, lists and computerized spreadsheets, alphabetically filing material in hard files and indexing material as appropriate; purges old files and backs up computerized files according to standard procedures. File slides, boxes, and requisitions as appropriate and retrieve slides, boxes, and reports according to established procedures. Organize slides and blocks for rounds as required.
- Make travel arrangements for designated personnel by performing duties such as contacting travel agents, confirming travel dates, obtaining itineraries, compiling information and forwarding to designated staff for approval.
- Identify supplies according to predetermined needs by checking stock, completing internal requisitions to order replacement items for supervisor's signature, verifying receipt of items and stocking shelves as required.
- Photocopy, fax and distribute material such as reports for personnel within Pathology & Laboratory Medicine by receiving items for duplication and operating photocopying or facsimile machine as required.
- Process incoming mail by performing duties such as opening and date stamping mail, forwarding to appropriate team members and preparing outgoing mail such as consults for pick-up.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
- Grade 12 and two years' recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills & Knowledge
What we bring
- Ability to keyboard at 45 w.p.m.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- As a strong asset for consideration, we are looking for our successful candidate to have; knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Regular Full-Time Wage:
855 W 12th Ave Vancouver, BC V5Z 1M9 Hours of Work:
0700 TO 1500, 0730 TO 1530 and 0800 to 1600 Requisition #
146126 What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment. ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of May 31, 2023
. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264
. Please note regular business hours are Monday - Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.