Medical Laboratory Technologist - St. Paul's Hospital, LM Labs
Under the general supervision of the Laboratory Manager, perform laboratory procedures related to the diagnosis of disease and the control of therapy as required by the medical staff for the treatment of patients. In this role, you will:
- Obtain blood samples to perform required laboratory tests.
- Perform technical and analytical procedures on the emergency list using established methods and equipment to generate patient results as required.
- Distinguish between normal and abnormal results and notify the appropriate pathologist according to established laboratory procedures.
- Ensure proper function of equipment by testing and monitoring its operation. Troubleshoot equipment problems, make repairs as appropriate, make decisions to use alternate equipment if available. Report equipment problems to appropriate Section Head.
- Set priorities for the work requested. Maintain quality control records for work performed on the night shift. Participate in the maintenance and evaluation of the Quality Management program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
You have the ability to:
- Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) certification.
- One (1) year general laboratory experience at the post graduate level; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
If this sounds like you, apply now! About Us Lower Mainland Laboratories
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Operate related equipment.
- Organize work.
- Work without supervision.
- Physically perform duties of the position.
is a service of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)
, responsible for providing public laboratory services throughout the Lower Mainland of British Columbia. Hospital-based laboratories in Vancouver Coastal Health, Fraser Health, Providence Health Care and PHSA provide both inpatient and outpatient laboratory services. These specialty laboratories provide a variety of reference and specialized testing.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)
plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Patients first • Best value • Results matter • Excellence through knowledge • Open to possibilities.
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
- Temporary, Part-Time (0.70 FTE until December 2019)
- Wage: $29.70 to $37.04 per hour
- Hours of Work: Rotating, Rotating Days
- 1081 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC V6Z 1Y6
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday - Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.