Medical Laboratory Technologist I, Royal Columbian Hospital
New Westminster, BC As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Medical Laboratory Technologist I performs technical work involved in the duties associated with laboratory test procedures. As well, the Medical Laboratory Technologist I evaluates and verifies results, and prepares related reports. What you'll do
What you bring
- Obtain laboratory samples from patients as required.
- Perform Laboratory procedures and analyze results according to established policies.
- Prepare a variety of solutions, reagents, standards and controls for use in analysis, in accordance with the Standard Operating Procedures.
- Respond to requests and inquiries for test results by various methods as required by the standard operating procedures.
- Communicate test results to the appropriate parties, including designated members of other health teams, by methods such as printing and distributing lab results in accordance with the established procedures of the designated area.
- Perform routine instrument maintenance including the setup, calibration, and maintenance of laboratory instruments. Identify and report malfunctions in equipment in accordance with the practices established by the Diagnostic Accreditation Program (DAP).
- Assist in the evaluation of technical procedures and provides input in the development and maintenance of policy procedures for assigned work area.
- Certification with the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS).
- One (1) year of recent related experience including experience in the designated discipline within the last six years, and/or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
You are also able to demonstrate:
What we bring
- Recent working knowledge of the assigned section or sections.
- Knowledge of laboratory procedures, and technical competence to perform tests used in the assigned section of the laboratory, including quality control and safety.
- Basic awareness of research process.
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with others.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
Job Type: Casual Opportunity (0.01 FTE) Wage: $30.90 to $38.63 per hour Location: 330 E Columbia St, New Westminster, BC V3L 3W7 Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Hours of Work: Variable hours and shifts Requisition #CAS-133216 What we do
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Lower Mainland Laboratories (LM Labs) provides laboratory testing at 31 sites across the lower mainland and central coast of BC, including acute care hospital laboratories and specialty laboratories.
LM Labs is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and LM Labs are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.