Medical Laboratory Assistant - Whistler Health Care Centre, LM Labs
Within the context of a client and family centered care model and in accordance with established vision and values of the organization, this position works under general supervision to perform duties related to blood collection and specimen processing. Receives patients for testing, collects blood specimens using venipuncture and skin puncture, prepares specimens for analysis and forwards to referral laboratories or other areas. Performs routine electrocardiogram testing where required. Utilizes the Laboratory Information systems and related database system/s to enter data, generate blood collection lists and reports, etc. Answers telephones, files and distributes materials as required. In this role, you will:
- Receives patients and examines test requisition/s to confirm patient demographics are current, checks for physician's signature, enters demographics into Laboratory Information system, prints label indicating patient information such as referring physician, name and test and affixes to requisition. Explains procedure for the collection of laboratory specimens and responds to routine inquiries.
- Greets, identifies and prepares patients for specified tests; collects blood specimens by performing venipuncture and skin puncture in accordance with established procedures, labels specimens with required information and ensures safe disposal of sharps and other material as required. Performs routine lab tests such as urine tests for protein and/or glucose using colour coded dip sticks.
- Prepares specimens such as blood and urine for analysis. Checks specimen identification against requisition, identifies whether additional tests or special testing is required. Separates serum or plasma from cells by centrifugation and prepares blood films by spreading blood specimen onto slide. Forwards to Technologist for analysis.
- Receives specimens, spins down and splits specimens into different containers, sorts and labels for testing, logs data into a computerized database and batches specimens in order of established priorities for distribution to applicable area. Stores analyzed specimens and discards outdated specimens as directed in accordance with established facility procedures.
- Arranges for the shipment of specimens to referral laboratories. Completes forms, packages specimens in accordance with safe procedures and regulations outlined in the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System and the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act. Contacts courier, air transport or alternate carriers.
- Grade 12
- Successful completion of a recognized Lab Assistant training program.
- One year's recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
If this sounds like you, apply now! About Us Lower Mainland Laboratories
- Ability to type 25 wpm.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
is a service of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)
, responsible for providing public laboratory services throughout the Lower Mainland of British Columbia. Hospital-based laboratories in Vancouver Coastal Health, Fraser Health, Providence Health Care and PHSA provide both inpatient and outpatient laboratory services. These specialty laboratories provide a variety of reference and specialized testing.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)
plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Patients first • Best value • Results matter • Excellence through knowledge • Open to possibilities.
The PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
- Casual Opportunites
- Wage: $23.85 per hour
- Rotating; Rotating
- 4380 Lorimer Rd, Whistler, BC V0N 1B4
Labor Agreement Requisition # MLA_WHHC-2324078 Work Site Job Type Casual, Part-Time Salary/Rate $23.85 / Hour FTE Hours of Work Work Days Expiry Date