Medical Laboratory Assistant
Squamish General Hospital, BC As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021. What you'll do
What you bring
- Receive patients and examine test requisition/s to confirm patient demographics are current, checks for physician's signature, enter demographics into Laboratory Information system, print label indicating patient information such as referring physician, name and test and affixe to requisition. Explain procedure for the collection of laboratory specimens and respond to routine inquiries.
- Greet, identify and prepare patients for specified tests; collect blood specimens by performing venipuncture and skin puncture in accordance with established procedures, label specimens with required information and ensure safe disposal of sharps and other material as required. Perform routine lab tests such as urine tests for protein and/or glucose using colour coded dip sticks.
- Prepare specimens such as blood and urine for analysis. Check specimen identification against requisition, identify whether additional tests or special testing is required. Separate serum or plasma from cells by centrifugation and prepare blood films by spreading blood specimen onto slide. Forward to Technologist for analysis.
- Receive specimens, spin down and split specimens into different containers, sort and label for testing, log data into a computerized database and batch specimens in order of established priorities for distribution to applicable area. Store analyzed specimens and discard outdated specimens as directed in accordance with established facility procedures.
- Arrange for the shipment of specimens to referral laboratories. Complete forms, package specimens in accordance with safe procedures and regulations outlined in the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System and the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act. Contact courier, air transport or alternate carriers.
You will have the ability to:
- Completion of Grade 12.
- Successful completion of a recognized Lab Assistant training program.
- One (1) year's recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
What we bring
- Type 25 wpm.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
- Organize work.
- Operate related equipment.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Regular, Part-Time (0.80 FTE) Wage:
$25.31 per hour Hours of Work:
Rotating Schedule Location:
38140 Behrner Drive, Squamish BC, V8B 0J3 Requisition number:
116294 What we do
Lower Mainland Laboratories (LML) lmlabs.phsa.ca provides laboratory testing at 31 sites across the lower mainland and central coast of B.C., including acute care hospital laboratories and and specialty laboratories. LML is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and LML are committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment. ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired
, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264
. Please note regular business hours are Monday - Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.