Medical Imaging Nurse
BC Children's Hospital
Under the general supervision of the Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) and the Clinical Nurse Educator (CNE), and in accordance with work direction from the Medical Imaging (MI) Site Coordinator, provides direct patient care, including performing IV insertions, admitting patients, procedural induction, recovering and discharging of MI patients requiring sedation or general anesthesia (GA), assisting Anesthesiologists with sedation/G.A. procedures, and assisting MI team with diagnostic procedures. What you'll do
What you bring
- Maintain patient records by collecting and documenting information including health care
information regarding patients and their families, nursing observations, telephone communications, interventions, teaching, and care evaluations to ensure patient records are current and complete.
- Provide emotional support and prepares patients for procedures prior to their visit to the department of MI, and for their follow up care afterwards.
- As part of the multidisciplinary MI team, ensures continuity of patient care while the patient is in MI by performing duties such as reviewing patient/family history, developing a care plan specific for the patient and family, communicating potential problems and special needs to other nursing staff and members of the health care team, and charting appropriate information.
- Participate as a member of the health care team through contributing information in patient and family care conferences, rounds or huddles, and staff meetings.
- Assess patient status prior to, during, and following MI procedures and communicates special needs to the MI team prior to imaging examination.
- Maintain a safe environment for patients, families and staff by following established emergency procedures and other practices and procedures.
- Maintain emergency equipment in a state of readiness and provides emergency care when dealing with life threatening situations.
- Graduation from an approved School of Nursing with current practicing registration as an RN with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNM).
- CPR Training - Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) - Level 1.
- One year of recent Pediatric PACU experience in a tertiary level setting or one year of recent pediatric critical care experience in a tertiary level setting or a combination of pediatric critical care courses. Post Anesthetic nursing courses, Peri-Anesthesia Nursing Course or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two years' recent experience working in a Pediatric acute/critical care setting, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Certification.
Skills and Abilities
What we bring
- Broad knowledge of British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP) standards for nursing practice.
- Broad knowledge of child and youth developmental theory.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to relate effectively to children and their families.
- Demonstrated ability to work with children.
- Ability to demonstrate effective CPR techniques.
- Ability to participate as a member of multidisciplinary care team, and function as a nursing resource.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the job
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Temporary, Part-Time (0.5FTE; Until March 3, 2025) Wage:
4500 Oak Street, Vancouver BC, V6H 2N9 Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Hours of Work:
Monday - Friday, 0700-1500 to 1000-1800 rotating with on call after hours and weekends and STATS. Requisition #
145783E As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021. What we do
BC Children's Hospital (BCCH) provides care for the most seriously ill or injured children and youth from across British Columbia.
BCCH is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCCH are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments' unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey-one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate. ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of May 26, 2023
. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264
. Please note regular business hours are Monday - Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.