Medical Health Officer (term Specific Full Time)
Reference ID: 05222166
Reporting to the Chief Medical Health Officer (CMHO), the Medical Health Officer (MHO):
- Provides leadership, support and advice in community medicine (including epidemiology, health
promotion, disease prevention, health protection, and advocacy), and administration to various
levels of the organization to improve the health of the population.
- Focuses on the geographic area of the Health Services Delivery Area (HSDA) for the practice of
- Functions as a member of a team of MHOs and may be delegated a discreet portfolio of a public
- Participates in collaborative planning with other MHOs and other members of the public health
team regarding strategic directions, policy, goals and objectives, and resource allocation to
achieve desired outcomes.
- Leads and/or participates in health authority wide initiatives, as appropriate.
- Assists the CMHO in providing policy advice to the Executive Team and the Board.
Education and Experience
- A Medical Degree with a license to practice medicine in the province of British Columbia, plus;
- A Masters in Health Sciences or Public Health, preferably with specialty qualifications in Public Health
and Preventive Medicine;
- A minimum of 5 (five) years' experience in a senior position responsible for the development,
implementation and evaluation of Public Health programs, and in health promotion and disease
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to plan, develop, implement and evaluate public health programs.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with various groups and
- Effective research, analytical reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging health care and general public health issues,
including communicable disease and environmental health, and related provincial and federal policies
- Demonstrated commitment to a team-based collaborative approach to providing progressive and
innovative approaches to public health issues.
- Broad knowledge of current health care issues, applicable ethical and legal standards.
PRINCE GEORGE COMMUNITY
Prince George is one of the larger cities in British Columbia with a population of approximately 75,000. Built on the confluence of the Fraser and Nechako rivers, Prince George is close to the geographic center of British Columbia and has become a transportation hub as well as an important link in the Asia-Pacific Gateway and Corridor. It is a major centre for shopping and a service centre for surrounding communities, as well as home to the University of Northern British Columbia. In Prince George, BC's Northern capital, you are just minutes from being fully immersed in the wonders of our natural surroundings - this is a true outdoor person's paradise. A warm, friendly and diverse population attests to our community spirit. You can be assured of discovering a myriad of entertainment and recreational options year-round, from heritage and cultural opportunities to good old family fun.
Posted: January 13, 2017
Closes:February 11, 2017