Medical Health Officer (permanent Full Time) (worksite Location Is Flexible)
Reference ID: 05210067
Reporting to the Chief Medical Health Officer (CMHO), the Medical Health Officer (MHO):
-Provides leadership, support and advice in community medicine (including epidemiology, health
promotion, disease prevention, health protection, and advocacy), and administration to various
levels of the organization to improve the health of the population.
-Focuses on the geographic area of the Health Services Delivery Area (HSDA) for the practice of
-Functions as a member of a team of MHOs and may be delegated a discreet portfolio of a public
-Participates in collaborative planning with other MHOs and other members of the public health
team regarding strategic directions, policy, goals and objectives, and resource allocation to
achieve desired outcomes.
-Leads and/or participates in health authority wide initiatives, as appropriate.
-Assists the CMHO in providing policy advice to the Executive Team and the Board.
A Medical Degree with a license to practice medicine in the province of British Columbia, plus;
- A Masters in Health Sciences or Public Health, preferably with specialty qualifications in Public Health
and Preventive Medicine;
- A minimum of 5 (five) years' experience in a senior position responsible for the development,
implementation and evaluation of Public Health programs, and in health promotion and disease
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to plan, develop, implement and evaluate public health programs.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with various groups and
- Effective research, analytical reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging health care and general public health issues,
including communicable disease and environmental health, and related provincial and federal policies
- Demonstrated commitment to a team-based collaborative approach to providing progressive and
innovative approaches to public health issues.
- Broad knowledge of current health care issues, applicable ethical and legal standards.
Posted: November 26, 2016
Closes:January 16, 2017