Ballard's Product Engineering Department has an opening for an immediate opening for a Mechanical Engineer
to join the Systems Engineering team developing the next generation of Ballard's fuel cell-based power systems. The successful candidate will work within a structured environment to apply their strong technical skills to the selection and design of mechanical components and sub-systems, the design and verification/validation plan for new products, and support testing in the lab and in the field.Responsibilities:
- Actively support the design of mechanical systems, including: sourcing and verification of mechanical components, structural design, process systems, fluid management, and mechanical layout of components.
- Ensure conformance with Ballard's product development and engineering maturity processes.
- Generate engineering documentation for mechanical systems and components, including: component design requirements and specifications; design review and release materials; detailed test plans and conformity assessments.
- Prepare and report out to internal and external stakeholders on progress identifying conformance to requirements, gaps and risks.
- Participate and contribute to informal and formal design reviews
- Develop cost effective designs that meet functionality, durability and robustness requirements.
- Initiate and lead characterization and performance validation testing of system components
- Lead failure analysis investigations on failed mechanical systems and components.
- Identify and interact with 3 rd party suppliers of mechanical systems and components.
- Support mechanical design during fuel cell system commissioning in the field.
- Participate in growing the functional competency of the Mechanical Engineering Group.
- Degree in mechanical engineering, mechatronics, engineering physics, or a related field and at least 8-10 years of directly related experience.
- Experience in both industrial and product development settings.
- Good knowledge of structural design, thermodynamics, heat transfer, small-scale rotational equipment, fabrication processes, assembly processes, and selection of general mechanical components.
- Demonstrated ability to develop creative solutions to meet cost and functional requirements.
- Proven ability to work to time schedule and commitments for deliverables; determine scope of work and plan effectively to meet those commitments.
- Ability to work independently making sound decisions with focus on the goal.
- Experience with standard engineering practices such as DFMEA, Product Certification, Codes and Standards, and Safety & Reliability Analysis.
- Strong attention to detail with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with dealing with outside vendors and fabrication shops.
- Practical experience with process engineering systems and equipment
- Previous background with fuel cells and/or fuel cell systems is preferred.
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.