Ballard has an immediate opportunity for a Mechanical Engineer
to join its Technology and Product Development Team in Burnaby, BC. The successful candidate will apply their strong technical skills to the develop fuel cell and fuel cell component testing equipment for Ballard's state-of-the-art test lab. Working closely with a team of technicians, technologists and engineers in our fast-paced environment, the candidate will advance and maintain Ballard's broad line of fuel cell testing equipment. Applications supported will include motive power applications for materials handling, power modules for zero emissions transit busses and engineering services for clients including world-leading automotive OEMs developing zero emissions passenger vehicles.Responsibilities:
Desired qualifications, skills and experience:
- Design laboratory equipment to evaluate the performance and durability of prototype fuel cell stacks, systems and system level components.
- Interface with internal and external customers to develop or understand specifications.
- Develop Process and Instrumentation Diagrams from internal and external customer specifications.
- Use Engineering knowledge and calculations to appropriately specify equipment for fuel cell testing.
- Troubleshoot problems and optimize test station performance and reliability.
- Testing of specific equipment for possible integration into fuel cell testing equipment. This would include writing of specifications, test plans, performing tests, and writing test reports.
- Analyze data using statistical tools
- Preparing and maintaining cost estimates, budget reports, and schedules.
- Follow sound engineering practice regarding documentation development and management, document control, change management
- Contribute to improved designs through the application of engineering principles.
- Collaborate with component and system design engineers and members of research, applications engineering, supply chain, sales, marketing, and manufacturing teams to develop new products and improve existing ones
- Improve the documentation management system.
- Bachelor's degree in applied science or engineering (mechanical, chemical, integrated systems or related fields such as engineering physics)
- 3 - 10 years of relevant Engineering experience
- Outstanding oral and written communications skills
- Self-starting, highly motivated, and possessing a keen desire to get things done
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Proven organization skills
- Relevant experience from previous jobs is a benefit
- Strong data analysis skills and experience in data reporting and the application of statistics to data analysis;
- Working knowledge of thermodynamics, electrochemistry, fluid mechanics, and materials science;
- Strong knowledge of engineering instrumentation;
- Working knowledge of fuel cell technology
- Hands-on experience with mechanical and electrical equipment assembly and troubleshooting
Listen & Deliver | Quality. Always. | Inspire Excellent | Row Together | Own It
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.