This Designer will be working as part of a team involved in creating Fuel Cell Stack designs on various design projects throughout the product development process including conceptualization process through final production release. This position requires skills and competencies necessary to develop difficult and complex layout and design drawings utilizing theoretical and practical design knowledge applying advanced Computer Aided Design (CAD) techniques. The individual is expected to adhere to applicable CAD and Design standards, as well as company policies and procedures to ensure quality documentation release.The successful candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- Responsible for working directly with Lead Designers and Engineers to create drawings, change and/or create 3D parametric models and assemblies with solid CAD, and perform engineering changes to achieve project goals
- Responsible for the accuracy and completeness of drawings in regards to clarity, fit, views, dimensioning and conformance to company/ASME Y14.5M design and drawing standards
- Documentation release through the change management procedure
- Understanding engineering concepts and translating them to engineering design drawings
- Participate and contribute in design reviews
- Working with suppliers and IQC to understand drawing callouts needed for QC and inspection.
- Reviews supplier data and supplier/manufacturer drawings, as required.
- Application and Interpretation of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Responsible for mentoring less experienced designers and drafters.
- B.S., or associate degree, or diploma in mechanical technology program or related field
- 5+ years related experience in design using three dimensional (3D) modeling software packages software required (Creo Parametric preferred)
- Experience with CAD Databse/PDM software (PTC Windchill preferred)
- Experience with 3D Parametric Advanced Modeling techniques such as applying the Top-Down Design Process, Surfacing, Skeletons, Simplified Representations and must be comfortable with managing complex parts, assemblies & drawings
- Experience with Piping CAD software a plus
- Knowledgeable on basic assembly and fabrication processes
- Experience with shop practices such as milling, grinding, lathe work, molding, threading and assembly a plus
- Proficiency in Geometrical Dimensioning and Tolerance (GD&T) experience desired and able to do basic tolerance analysis.
- Understands corporate drawing and engineer standards
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and capable of self checking for completeness and accuracy of work produced
- Should be an energetic, motivated, and detail orientated individual with the ability to work in a team environment and/or independently
- Self starter with good decision making skills and the ability to take initiative and solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables
- Excellent oral and written communication and documentation skills are essential
If you meet the above qualifications and on a personal level are highly creative, hard working, achievement focused, possess a strong attention to detail, superb communication and interpersonal skills, this opportunity may be of interest to you.
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.