Ballard Power Systems is actively seeking a Materials Scientist/Materials Engineer
to join the Materials Engineering team on a permanent basis. The successful applicant will work as part of a team evaluating new fuel cell materials to ensure they meet technical requirements. They will interface cross-functionally to integrate qualified materials into next generation fuel cell products.
The Materials Engineering team is a fast paced, collaborative group that continually innovates to develop materials that will meet the needs of next generation green energy power products. We are looking for an energetic, creative, detail-oriented person to help the team move our technologies forward.Responsibilities:
- Characterize materials with a wide range of equipment, including Universal Testing machines, DMA, DSC, FTIR, and TGA-MS.
- Develop material characterization data sets that can be used as inputs to models and predictive life calculations.
- Manage laboratory experiments and create thorough test plans to investigate degradation mechanisms of various materials.
- Understand and select different chemical analytical techniques to support laboratory testing.
- Perform data analysis and link observations to underlying material science.
- Follow standardized testing procedures (ISO, ASTM, etc.) and also design and implement non-standard testing as required.
- Communicate with a small team of engineers, scientists, and technicians to achieve team deliverables safely, effectively, and with a high level of quality.
- Interface effectively with Research, Supply Chain, Quality and Manufacturing to resolve technical issues to support the development of fuel cell products.
- Follow sound engineering practices regarding material specification documentation, document control, change management and failure investigations.
- Relevant degree in science or engineering (e.g. Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Materials Engineering).
- 2-5 years of relevant experience.
- Working knowledge of thermoplastics, thermosets, elastomers, composites, materials science, and materials processing.
- Hands-on experience with wet chemistry and sample preparation.
- Practical experience with analytical equipment (e.g. DMA, DSC, etc.), including data analysis.
- Strong oral and written communications skills required.
- Industry experience on materials composition as well as material supply chain from raw material manufacturers, compounders and processing companies is an asset.
- Working knowledge of fuel cells stacks or systems is desirable.
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.