Manager, User Experience (FT, Perm)
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
Job Function: Communications and Social Responsibility Overview:
BCLC's two offices are located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam Indian Band), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples in Vancouver and the Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc territory, situated within the Secwépemc Nation in Kamloops. We honour and respect the people, the territory, and the land we are part of.
Joining the Social Purpose & Player Experience division at BCLC means you'll be working with a dedicated group of talented professionals in Communications, Community & Stakeholder Engagement, Public Affairs, Player Health, Customer Support Operations, Business Intelligence, Marketing, CRM and Loyalty and Player Experience. As a Crown Corporation that earns more than a billion dollars in annual profit, BCLC's commitment to giving funds back to the province is an integral part of our business, but still only one piece of a bigger picture. BCLC is committed to creating a welcoming workplace where everyone feels safe, included, and valued. For us, that means building a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We all are winners when differences are respected, valued and celebrated.
At BCLC, we exist to generate win-wins for the greater good. We believe everything we do must benefit the well-being of all involved. Through our Social Purpose, we aspire to make sure, in all of our endeavours, transactions and relationships - in the most important sense of life, livelihood, meaning, and well-being - nobody loses, and every person we touch comes out ahead.
Social Purpose is the driving force of our business, our opportunity to create a better world through innovation, engagement, and connection. BCLC aims to provide something unique that not only fills a need, but provides value to the province. Join the team responsible for telling our story, building stakeholder relationships, connecting with communities, and achieving our strategic vision for player-centred sustainable growth. Job Summary:
The Manager, User Experience (UX) leads the execution of UX design and UX research across BCLC's wide range of products and services. The role attracts, hires and leads a multi-disciplinary team of UX professionals that includes UX designers, UI designers and UX researchers. The Manager works closely with internal stakeholders across the enterprise including Product, Engineering and Marketing to create highly engaging player experiences. This role drives the creation and implementation of UX standards and best practices across the company. Key Accountabilities:
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Oversees the design process and outputs of the members of the UX team, ensuring appropriate user-centered design methodologies are followed and design standards are upheld.
- Drives the creation and implementation of UX standards and best practices across the company. Actively takes the initiative to drive UX efforts beyond product design requests that directly connect UX with BCLC's broader corporate strategy.
- Matures the DesignOps function including the development of design systems, standardizing tooling, and improving UX processes.
- Serves as an advocate for our players across the organization, building customer understanding by championing the usage of user-centered design principles into the planning of product roadmaps and experience design. Fosters and grows UX design culture.
- Builds strong relationships across the organization with a wide array of stakeholders to manage resources and business owner expectations. Must be able to negotiate design and gain buy-in from stakeholders including senior leadership.
- Provides strong leadership to a multi-disciplinary team of UX professionals, helping them develop their UX skillset and work towards their career goals.
Education and Experience
- A degree in Design or HCI;
- 5 to 7 years related experience as a UX/UI designer, Interaction Designer, Information Architect, or similar role with progressive levels of responsibility including at least 2 years in a people leadership or design lead role;
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
- Experience providing UX services through all stages of the product development lifecycle;
- Proficient in UX tools such as: Figma, Sketch, Abstract, Adobe XD, and prototyping tools
- Experience with qualitative user research methodologies such as usability testing;
- Experience working in an agile environment is an asset;
- Experience in the gaming industry is an asset.
- Demonstrated self-starter that is curious and not afraid to push the status quo;
- Strong facilitation and stakeholder management skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with senior executives;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking/innovation;
- Ability to lead and motivate a team.
- Effective November 22, 2021, BCLC requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by Health Canada). Full vaccination will be required before commencing employment with BCLC unless a legal exemption is obtained.
- To build a rich diverse workforce representing the communities which we serve, we welcome applications from people of all colours and cultures, persons with diverse abilities, and members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community.
- BCLC values work life balance and offers remote work options for its employees.
- Relocation assistance is available for successful job candidates.
- If you are in need of accommodation or special assistance at any step of your application, please send an email with your request to email@example.com.
- For over more than a decade, we have been recognized as one of BC's Top Employers - and we are constantly seeking ways to improve our employee and player experience. To learn more about BCLC, please visit: https://corporate.bclc.com/
This opportunity will remain open until a qualified candidate pool has been established.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada and be 19 years of age to work at BCLC.
Government Sales and Marketing