20332 Position Type:
Vancouver, BC, Canada Location:
Vancouver H/O - Canfor/CWPM_1000 (BC13)
Canfor's strength comes from the diversity of our skilled and resilient workforce. As our company continues to grow and diversify, so do our career opportunities. Let us take this opportunity to tell you how you could be the best fit for Canfor. The Opportunity:
The Manager, Surface Transportation will overseeing North America Surface transportation.
The role will be a key contributor in setting of transportation service rates and monitor revenue; establish and implement policies and standards for the transportation and storage of goods; monitor the department's performance, prepare reports for senior management, and plan for changes to schedules and policies; arrange for the tracking and tracing of goods in transit; plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate daily operations
As an integral part of the management team, the Manager, Surface Transportation will drive best in class day-to-day rail and truck transportation operations in a collaborative and authentic manner.Key Responsibilities:Transportation Strategy
- Develop strategies, policies and procedures to accomplish corporate and department objectives.
- As directed; negotiate, carrier contracts and spot rates
- Vendor relationship management with Class 1 railways, truckers and reload facilities
- Maintain cross functional activities between all modes (Marine, Truck and Rail) on both commodities (pulp and lumber)
- Support and coordinate efforts to achieve KPI's by collaborating with all departments.
- Continuously survey existing programs for improvements and enhanced performance.
The Candidate:Education & Experience
- Deal effectively with customer issues and identify quick solutions.
- Responsible for departmental budget, including reporting variance. Ensures that activities within the department meet budget KPIs. Identifies ways to lower costs where possible
- Ensure all rate uploads are completed
- Approve invoice variance and ensure root cause analysis are being reviewed
- Oversee the process for tendering and awarding spot-market and contract freight.
Skills and Abilities
- A Bachelor's degree in Commerce, International Trade or Business. A specialization in Supply Chain would be highly valued.
- A minimum of 4 years' experience in a related role with responsibility for supply chain management, logistics and/or shipping.
- Previous experience leading and managing a team, and mentoring staff.
- Advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
Our Talent Acquisition team is actively recruiting on this position and in order to be considered, please apply today!
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Confident in presenting across multiple levels of the business, including the Executive team.
- Consummate relationship builder. Able to form effective working relationships with a wide variety of vendors.
- Strong level of attention to detail as it relates to data entry and verification.
- Previous experience managing a budget, including performing analysis on and reporting for variances.
- Must have strong and effective leadership skills, and the ability to successfully manage a staff of 5 salaried employees.
- Strong organizational, analytical, communication and leadership skills required.
- Must be innovative and have the ability to make changes to the operation as needed to further improve the work environment and unit performance.
- Must have strong written and oral communication skills
- Must be able to communicate effectively with management team and staff.
At Canfor, diversity means understanding, recognizing and valuing
the differences that make each person unique. We see inclusion and diversity as an essential part of our productivity, creativity, innovation and competitive advantage. We strive for a fair and equitable recruitment process
, where hiring decisions are based on the individual qualifications and experience of each applicant. We are not your run of the mill forest products company, join us and find out why. #canfortalent Follow us on LinkedIn , Twitter , and Facebook for Canfor news, career opportunities, and upcoming events!
The city of Vancouver is both a natural beauty and a progressive urban centre, a rare place on earth that is idyllic and electric all at once. With one of Canada's mildest climates, Vancouver is ideally suited for those devoted to outdoor pursuits, health and wellness. Along with its endless supply of fresh air and clean water, Vancouver also boasts countless choices for culturally diverse, world-class cuisine and an inventory of arts and entertainment events. For more information, visit http://canfor.com/our-company/our-communities/vancouver
#ind123 Job Segment:
Logistics, Transportation, Social Media, Supply Chain Manager, Manager, Operations, Engineering, Marketing, Management
Transportation and Warehousing