The University of the Fraser Valley is embarking on a major investment in its technology landscape, with corresponding expansion, revitalization, and reinvention of its infrastructure, systems, service management protocols, and project delivery methodology. Under the direction of the Chief Information Officer, UFV is redesigning the IT Department’s organizational structure and adding staff in both the frontline and management realms, aligning with the needs of the university.
The Manager, Application Services leads the transformation of UFV’s technology front-end, focusing on applications, integration and web solutions that support the university. The Manager will oversee all applications and software development including core systems processes, as well as associated analytics and reporting.
The Manager will facilitate application solutions that are highly innovative, achieved through research and integration of best practices, and will participate in change initiatives by implementing new directions and providing appropriate information and feedback. The Manager is also responsible for staffing, capacity planning, process design, systems performance analysis based on service performance metrics, and developing proactive application maintenance and support plans. This role requires substantial contact with students, faculty, and staff, as well as external stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
IT Applications Management
- Develops and leads the IT applications “roadmap” ensuring that projects are selected and scheduled for implementation based upon business priorities and institutional value.
- Provides visionary, informed, and collaborative leadership within and beyond the IT Department.
- Creates an IT applications strategy leveraging cloud-based technologies, where appropriate, to deliver application services.
- Develops a customer-focused and responsive IT applications function that prioritizes the needs of students, instructors, and staff.
- Analyzes and predicts trends, and develops long-range plans designed to maintain the effectiveness and value of the technology landscape.
- Negotiates favorable software, and services contracts with reputable vendors.
- Develops business cases, requirements, and documentation in support of proposed and approved technology initiatives in collaboration with institutional stakeholders and key users.
- Be a trusted advisor by seeing the big picture and translating educational strategies into actionable technology roadmaps and project plans;
- Establishes appropriate operational tools, monitoring methods, site metrics, and reporting to determine and track trends for support, issues, and capacity;
- Orchestrate and deliver 24/7 operational support for mission critical systems and applications;
- Develop and implement standards and processes for the development and management of software solutions following industry best practices;
- Oversee the creation of a solutions architecture for key enterprise business systems which addresses performance, security, and risk
Measure & Reporting of Key Performance Indicators
- Manages and oversees the measurement of Key Performance Indicators and the compilation of statistics relating to the operational services provided to the end-users by the IT Application Services team.
- Tracks and analyzes trends to identify opportunities to improve or streamline processes.
- Analyzes operational metrics and prepares summary reports and recommendations to the ITS senior management team concerning opportunities to improve operations.
Human Resource Management
- Builds and develops a team of high performing systems professionals through ongoing opportunities for professional development, mentorship, and coaching. Helps to identify work goals and create individual development plans.
- Attract and retains quality people to the institution through inspirational leadership and develops these individuals into a cohesive team. Creates a diverse and inclusive environment which brings together different ideas, experiences, skills and knowledge.
- Delegates responsibility and reallocates resources as needed to ensure that priorities are met for initiatives within area of responsibility and to ensure that organizational objectives and superior standards are achieved.
- Monitors and assesses the progress of team members to ensure high quality, efficient completion of work.
- Mentors and provides training resources and professional development opportunities for staff.
- Coordinates training and orientation of new staff.
- Completion of a Bachelor degree in computer science, business, or a related discipline. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Seven+ years of relevant professional experience, with two+ years in a management role with technical responsibility for enterprise applications oversight.
- Strong team leaderships skills; experience leading in a unionized, public sector experience is an asset.
- Experience implementing and managing large-scale software packages, including upgrades, support, and modifications.
- Expertise in negotiating complex contracts and managing outsourcing service agreements including design and tracking of Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Project Management experience; a PMP or other project management certification is an asset.
- Experience with ITIL or other IT Service Management best practice, frameworks is an asset.
- Experience working with process improvement and project delivery best practices, tools, and techniques to ensure systems deployments enhance institutional business practices.
- Experience driving and implementing business process and promoting a positive organizational culture.
- Self-motivated problem solver with a desire to identify issues and formulate solutions that reduce risk and align with organizational strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to model customer service excellence and resolve.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing workload priorities and events and effectively reprioritizing or deferring tasks in line with operational and strategic goals.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills are required.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships in a team environment at all times.
- Proven organization skills and an ability to work independently with frequent interruptions.
The University of the Fraser Valley is located on the unceded (ancestral) territory of the Halq'eméylem-speaking peoples. We express our gratitude and respect for the honour of living and working in S’olh Temexw (Our World; Our Land). In all that we do, UFV strives to support and honour the Stó:lo peoples goals of self-determination and well-being on these lands. A commitment to Indigenization and Reconciliation is core to our institutional Vision and our Education Plan. This commitment includes the goal of centring Indigenous ways of knowing throughout our organization, recognizing our responsibilities to community, and a multi-year plan to increase the number of Indigenous faculty, staff, and administrators working at UFV.
UFV has four campus locations within the beautiful Fraser Valley in British Columbia. Recognized as one of BC's top employers, UFV offers a combination of career and lifestyle benefits. Join a team of 1,400 passionate professionals who value integrity, inclusivity and excellence. At UFV, you will serve a vibrant community, and shape the future of 15,000 students.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. In an effort to be both environmentally and fiscally responsible, UFV will contact only candidates receiving an interview. We thank all applicants for considering UFV for employment. Shortlisted applicants may be required to undergo a criminal record check and/ or a verification of their education credentials.
UFV is committed to the principle of equity in employment.