As part of the Seaspan Shipyards Strategy and Business Development team, the Manager, Innovation is responsible for managing Seaspan Shipyards' Innovation program which has a goal of driving emerging technologies and corresponding solutions at Seaspan. The role starts by understanding the overall strategic directions of the business. Together with other stakeholders, coordinating the development of an overall innovation strategy and plan that creates competitive advantage for the business.
The plan would include: management of Seaspan innovation projects; pursuit of external innovation funding and projects; development and maintenance of external customer relationships, partner relationships and academic relationships pertaining to innovation; value proposition investment proposals and selection; and contribution to overall Seaspan captures in terms of staff, credibility, innovation and IP. This role is an integral part of the strategy and business development team; however, will also require broad interfacing to the Seaspan Shipyards senior leadership team and many other functions and departments. Duties/Accountabilities
Education and Experience
- Participation in Seaspan strategic planning process including innovation goals and objectives and innovation strategic directions.
- Coordination, management and maintenance of the Seaspan Shipyards innovation plan.
- Coordination and maintenance of knowledge of innovation trends in the maritime domain relevant to Seaspan's business.
- Management of the process to select Seaspan investment areas and innovation partners.
- Pursuit and capture of external innovation funding and projects that align with the Seaspan innovation plan.
- Leadership and management of selected Seaspan innovation projects and coordination with Seaspan innovation projects that are executed in other parts of our organization.
- Innovation budget planning, management and execution
- Innovation resource planning, recruiting and management.
- External interfaces to customer innovation, partners/suppliers and academic and other research organizations in coordination with other parts of Seaspan.
- Support to Seaspan business development activities particularly Capture Strategies and Plans and Proposals.
- Other activities as required to support the inevitable peaks and valleys of strategy and business development.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Bachelor's degree in relevant discipline or an equivalent combination of qualification and experience
- 5-10 years experience in shipbuilding, manufacturing or construction industry
- Experience in marine sector ideal but not mandatory particularly in shipbuilding, ship maintenance, repair, overhaul and refit.
- Educated to degree-level in a relevant area preferred.
- Proven track record of leading technical strategies and technical teams in complex large-scale businesses.
- Experience with forming and maintaining strategic industry partnerships and supplier arrangements.
- Creative, outside-the-box thinker to recognize big picture innovation strategies
- Ability to manage many different activities simultaneously - very strong time management skills
- Ability to effectively interface to and communicate with many diverse people and stakeholders both internally and externally
- Significant work experience in an innovation management role including innovation strategy, innovation pursuits/captures, external relationships, and innovation project management.
- Experience with the generation of business development materials including proposals, RFI responses, qualification responses, letters of interest, etc.
- Experience with marine and ship technologies
- Experience in Canadian Government sectors such as Defence and Coast Guard
- Experience with Canadian Government innovation funding organizations, their funding strategies and their processes for receiving funding.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities. Note: Unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted
Construction, Mining and Trades