Position: Manager, Financial Reporting
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
General Fusion is transforming how the world is energized by developing the first commercially-viable fusion power plant. Fusion will deliver clean, safe, and on-demand power at industrial scale, providing a powerful complement to renewables and a pathway to a zero-emissions grid.
Combining new technologies, proven industrial processes, and advances in fundamental fusion science, General Fusion aims to be the first in the world to develop commercial fusion power. Key performance requirements have been demonstrated at the system level, setting the stage for building a pre-commercial fusion power prototype.
The Manager of Financial Reporting is a newly created role, taking on responsibility for all financial reporting and statutory tax matters, including technical accounting analyses, process documentation, and ownership over the preparation and drafting of the financial statements. The Manager of Financial Reporting will work closely with the finance team and external business partners to drive process improvements for our reporting.
- Drive the preparation and review of the monthly, quarterly, and annual consolidated financial statements, in a timely manner
- Prepare, implement, and maintain corporate accounting policies
- Assess and document the impact and required disclosures for major transactions and complex accounting issues
- Support the timely closure of technical accounting matters with external auditors through the preparation of accounting memos
- Assist in month end, quarter end, and year end procedures, including booking and reviewing journal entries in complex accounting areas and updating schedules as necessary
- Maintain and update accounting schedules for more complex areas of accounting, including stock-based compensation, warrants, and lease accounting
- Ensure all statutory corporate and indirect tax filings are submitted on time in all tax jurisdictions, working with external tax advisors
- Documentation of financial reporting processes and working with other departments to assess and document control processes, effectiveness, and deficiencies under SOX guidelines
- Career experience in a big 6 accounting firm
- Professional accounting designation (CPA) and 5+ years of experience
- Strong technical GAAP knowledge, public company reporting, and SOX knowledge
- Ability to understand and implement significant areas of accounting including the following under US GAAP framework:
- Lease accounting (ASC 842)
- Stock based compensation (ASC 718)
- Warrants and preferred shares
- Consolidation accounting of foreign subsidiaries, and cash flow statement
- Cumulative translation adjustment and foreign exchange accounting
- Government grant accounting
- Research and development cost accounting
- Future income tax accounting
- General tax knowledge at the corporate level, and the ability to analyze tax implications, working with advisors
- Corresponds well with internal and external stakeholders with ease
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with excellent attention to detail and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work within a close team environment
- Has worked within their accounting firm’s tax group and/or has worked on the tax portion of audits
- Experience working with and/or implementing NetSuite ERP or other similar ERP systems
- Experience working within a SOX control environment and/or have implemented SOX within industry
- Previously managed a small team
- Experience within a similar kind of business: growth stage, technology, venture backed, capital intensive, energy & renewables
- Experience with SR&ED claims assembly
The successful applicant enjoys taking on new initiatives and wearing multiple hats. They are eager to learn and grow and will continue to seek opportunities to improve their skillset / toolbox.
This role will extend beyond the core financial reporting and tax compliance into operational accounting/reporting support, and other areas of support within the Finance team.
What We Offer:
- Flexible hours
- Four weeks’ vacation
- Comprehensive benefits package
- RRSP Contribution
- Support for professional development
- Great company culture – social events, food trucks, bike rides, Sun Run, etc.
We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
General Fusion is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.
Accounting Banking, Finance and Insurance