You've got big plans. We have opportunities to match, and we're committed to empowering you to become a better you, no matter what you do.
When you join KPMG you'll be one of over 219,000 professionals providing audit, tax, advisory and business enablement services across 147 countries.
With the support to do things differently, grow personally and professionally and bring your whole self to work, there's no limit to the impact you can make. Let's do this. The opportunity
Our Vancouver team are looking for a highly motivated Cloud Engineer at a Manager level to join our team! As a member of KPMG Canada's Lighthouse team, you will be dedicated to enabling and optimizing our clients' cloud functionality across our data, analytics, and software solutions. This role will be a rewarding experience for you if you:
- Thrive on challenges and work best in a fast-paced environment where each day is different;
- Work well in a project team environment and have strong collaboration and interpersonal skills;
- Have a natural "figure it out" mindset.
Innovate. Collaborate. Shine. Lighthouse - KPMG Canada's Center of Excellence for data valorization and advanced analytics- applies data science to solve real-word business problems, operationalize AI and optimize emerging technologies for its mission. Join a diverse team which is always curious and learning, thinking independently, working collaboratively, has a passion to solve difficult problems, and has fun doing it.
At KPMG we continue to be a virtual first work environment. The preferred location for this role is Vancouver, BC, however, we are open to the possibility of remote work arrangements across Canada. The team looks forward to representing KPMG and growing our practice locally through industry events and client meetings when safe to do so. What you will do
As a Manager, you'll lead and work as part of a team of problem solvers with extensive consulting and industry experience, helping our clients solve their complex business issues from strategy to execution. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
What you bring to the role
- Work with cross functional engagement teams to translate business and analytics requirements into a data strategy and requirement for the engagement;
- Provide mentorship to a team of data engineers, software developers and data scientists from data engineering perspective;
- Architect, develop, deploy and maintain secure, robust, scalable, repeatable and high-performing data platforms and optimal data pipelines to source data from variety sources within on-prem and cloud environments (MS Azure and AWS) to support streaming data, batch data flows;
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements;
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.;
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs;
- Perform data management tasks, including data architecture design and data modeling, master data/metadata/data security/privacy/data quality management, data operations, data integration and interoperability;
- Develop standards for data processes and automate routine tasks;
- Run queries for descriptive analytics and provide formatted result sets;
- Proactively contribute to the creation of presentation materials relating to data activities for stakeholder discussions;
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader;
- Take ownership of projects and pushing technological boundaries.
We will look to you to bring a blend of knowledge, training, and experience, including: Requirements:
Desired experience, certifications, and abilities:
- 6+ years of experience in data engineering (data/data platform architecture, design, implementation, and/or support of complex data and application architectures that are scalable and repeatable) ideally within a services/consulting organization;
- Expertise in leading and mentoring team members toward developmental objectives and resilience to overcome challenges or setbacks to achieve team, project and client goals;
- Expertise in relational and non-relational databases, including query language (SQL);
- Expertise in building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures and data models for all data types, speed, and sizes;
- Expertise in performing root cause analysis on internal and external data; processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement;
- Expertise in building standards, processes supporting data, data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management;
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large discrete datasets;
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, parallel processing, and data lakes;
- Expertise in deploying and maintaining high performance computing VMs in on-premise and cloud environment;
- Experience using a combination of industry relevant software/tools including some of the following:
- Big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.;
- Relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL and Cosmos DB;
- Data Warehousing Solutions such as Azure Synapse is a plus;
- Data pipeline and workflow management tools: Azkaban, Luigi, Airflow, etc.;
- Azure and AWS cloud data services;
- Stream-processing systems: Spark-Streaming, DataBricks, Azure Event Hubs, etc.;
- Object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc.
What makes you stand out:
- Relevant post-secondary education in a related field;
- Experience in analytics, statistics, data mining, machine learning, natural language processing and/or mathematics is an asset;
- Experience in visualization, visualization related technology (Tableau, PowerBI, D3, plotyldash, plotly.js) and data modeling within these tools is an asset.
- You have fine-tuned your leadership skills and are comfortable leading diverse teams, overseeing a variety of engagements, as well as managing and coordinating expectations of stakeholders;
- You see the big picture both as a consultant and as an internal contributor. You are motivated to create solutions that are practical and cost-effective solutions that are relevant to your clients' objectives and challenges;
- You have developed a reputation as a knowledgeable professional in your area, possess a solution orientated and analytical mindset, and enjoy guiding others through complex and at times ambiguous challenges;
- You're a self-s tarter that takes initiative to constantly improve your skillset and contribute to the overall performance and success of the practice;
- You are an exceptional communicator, both verbally and written, with the ability to deliver professional communications, presentations, reports and documentation;
- You have developed a strong professional brand and presence in the community, and enjoy contributing to and participating in events.
Don't Check all the Boxes?
- Has worked on an open source project or is active in the open source community;
- Plays some type of sport like basketball or Chess, or can withstand others talking about sports;
- Loves music;
- Likes memes;
- Enjoys hunting for free food.
KPMG is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in our workforce, encouraging applications from all qualified candidates. The above is a description of the ideal blend of knowledge and skills. If you meet most, but not all of the requirements and are a growth-focused professional who isn't standing still when it comes to learning, we encourage you to apply, even if you don't check all the boxes. Our Values, The KPMG WayIntegrity
, we do what is right | Excellence
, we never stop learning and improving | Courage
, we think and act boldly | Together
, we respect each other and draw strength from our differences | For Better
, we do what matters
KPMG is committed to the health and safety of our people, clients and communities. With this commitment in mind, KPMG complies with all public health mandates (provincially and/or federally, as applicable) and has implemented various safety measures, including a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. KPMG's COVID 19 Vaccination Policy requires all employees to be fully vaccinated if they wish to or are required to attend a KPMG office and/or other congregate settings in the course of their duties (such as client sites or third-party venues).
As this role requires occasional or consistent attendance at a KPMG office and/or congregate setting, the successful candidate must be fully vaccinated (i.e. have received all doses that are recommended by Health Canada, including any boosters) and must provide KPMG with proof of vaccination. KPMG will provide reasonable accommodation if the successful candidate cannot be vaccinated due to grounds protected by human rights legislation in their province of employment.
KPMG in Canada is a proud equal opportunities employer and we are committed to creating a respectful, inclusive and barrier-free workplace that allows all of our people to reach their full potential. A diverse workforce is key to our success and we believe in bringing your whole self to work. We welcome all qualified candidates to apply and hope you will choose KPMG in Canada as your employer of choice.
For general recruitment-related inquiries, please contact the HR Delivery Centre at email@example.com
If you have a question about accessible employment at KPMG, or to begin a confidential conversation about your individual accessibility or accommodation needs through the recruitment process, we encourage you to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or phone: 416-777-8002 or toll free 1-888-466-4778.
Customer Service and Support