The Manager, Continuous Process Improvement will be a leader and coach providing Lean Six Sigma consultation to enhance product quality, problem solving, product development and process control in response to the voice of the Customer. This role will work with various departments and functional groups playing a vital role to improve Seaspan competitiveness, including driving change to make the business more effective and efficient, while fostering a culture of continuous improvement. The role will act as change agent, working with various departmental groups to implement and sustain change in process. Duties/Accountabilities
Education and Experience
- Identify and prioritize improvement opportunities across the organization.
- Provide advice for resource assignments to match skills and projects.
- Actively contribute to the development of strategic deployment plans and assessment of effectiveness of the process improvement initiative.
- Manage multiple projects through planning, design, organization and execution of continuous improvement strategies from conceptual stage through to implementation.
- Oversee key steps in the process improvement effort including the collection and analysis of data, the development of solutions, and the deployment of plans.
- Facilitate various leadership to employee level meetings / workshops discussing problem statements, vision and scope, as well as current and future state processes.
- Recommend fact-based improvements which increase efficiency and effectiveness, while understanding and balancing requirements of multiple stakeholders.
- Conduct change management and communication activities including the assessment of process change impacts and risks to employees. Develop a plan to mitigate risks.
- Establish Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and/or other metrics to describe the improvements and work with process owners to ensure the impact of change is effectively measured and sustained.
- Produce and oversee the development of documentation to update and inform stakeholders, including the Leadership team, on the status of improvement.
- Develop training strategies, curriculum and training material and teaches Green Belt and Yellow Belt courses.
- Utilize a diverse toolkit of methodologies to gather information and data from staff and stakeholders.
- Prioritize and manage own workload with consideration of the workload of team members and key subject matter resources, in order to deliver results.
Skills and Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in Business or Technical discipline, required.
- Six Sigma Black Belt certification, required.
- Seven years of project management experience, required.
- Minimum 3+ years of people management experience, required.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation is an asset.
- Strong understanding of process improvement and project management methodologies, along with experience in change management models (e.g. ADKAR, Kotter, etc.)
- Experience in leading projects that require initiative and the ability to influence change in a positive way.
- Willingness to embrace constructive criticism as a building block to personal growth
- An agile perspective that supports the businesses short-term needs as well as the company's long-term strategic goals.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly and tactfully, as well as work on a cross functional team project.
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills. Logical thinker able to develop, communicate and deliver clear strategy and action plans.
- Technical skills balanced with a high degree of social intelligence with ability to step out of comfort zone and readily accept unique challenges
- Ability to work / excel in a fast-paced environment where attention to detail and effective multi-tasking is essential.
- Advanced computer skills (e.g. MS Office) and statistical analysis skills.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities. Note: Unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted
Construction, Mining and Trades