Position Title Manager, Continuing Education, Commerce & Business Administration Posting Number 01994SA Location Hybrid / New Westminster Campus Grade or Pay Level A - Pay Band 10 Salary Range - Position Type Administration - Regular Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Regular Employment Type Full-Time Posting Category Administration Start Date 10/03/2023 End Date Day of the Week Mondays to Fridays Shift N/A Work Arrangements
This regular full-time position is available immediately until filled. Regular hours of work are: 8:30am-4:30pm, Monday to Friday. Travel between Douglas College's campus locations is required. Travel for business may be required on occasion.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The Manager, Continuing Education Commerce & Business Administration is responsible for the strategic direction, leadership, operational and financial management of Continuing Education, Commerce & Business Administration. The Manager is a member of the Commerce & Business Administration leadership team and works with CE coordinators, CE program facilitators and CE instructors in the planning, design, and delivery of Commerce & Business Administration continuing education programs (non-credit and CE certificate programs). The manager initiates and coordinates the development of new programs working with content experts and stakeholders as clients or partners. The Manager is integral to the provision of continuing education opportunities in the acquisition of the knowledge, skills, and abilities to extend business practices. The incumbent develops business plans and marketing initiatives in collaboration with the Dean, other Commerce & Business Administration administrators, and, where appropriate, external partners.
The Manager, Continuing Education Commerce & Business Administration is responsible for developing and aligning the CE Commerce & Business Administration strategy with both Douglas College and Commerce & Business Administration strategic plans. Leading a team of CE facilitators, program developers, and instructors, the incumbent manages the Commerce & Business Administration Continuing Education operations by coordinating the learning resources (facilities, equipment, technology) across programs and planning for all aspects of delivery and business development. The Manager, Continuing Education, working with program developers/content experts, is responsible for the coordination of required educational approval processes, accreditations, and approvals.
The incumbent exercises considerable independence, discretion, judgment, and initiative in engaging with both the internal College and external community. Reporting to the Dean or their delegate, the Manager, Continuing Education Commerce & Business Administration provides exceptional client-centered service consistently to all stakeholder groups.ResponsibilitiesPeople
1. Responsible for the training and supervision of CE facilitators, instructors, and staff. This includes but is not limited to the coordination of activities, orientation, coaching and guidance of staff, evaluation of work quality, leave approvals, performance management and, where necessary, the discipline process.
2. Supervises and distributes work to support staff, developers, and instructors in order to implement arrangements and insure compliance with stated schedules and commitments of assigned programs. Ensures new CE staff are oriented and trained by appropriate mentors.
3. Assesses staffing requirements, revises and implements new staffing positions, modification of existing positions and changes to the staff complement in alignment with staff collective agreement
4. Recruits and interviews CE facilitators, instructors, and staff.
5. In partnership with Commerce & Business Administration Dean or delegate, reviews and sets salaries for non-union CE employees in alignment with market principles and cost recovery requirements.
6. Follows policies and procedures for staff performance evaluations.
7. Develops and revises as needed policies and procedures for evaluation of instruction and work of non-unionized instructors/employees.
8. Ensures policies and collective agreements are adhered to and serves as a resource for matters relating to policy, procedures, and governance.
9. Promotes, fosters and manages an engaging and civil workplace environment and represents the Faculty and the College appropriately to the internal College community and outside agencies and officials.Technical Expertise
1. In partnership with content experts, discusses and reviews current literature and promotes incorporation of research-based best practice in the development and implementation of CE programs.
3. Assesses and arranges for appropriate technical training related to operational and educational technology for all CE employees.
4. Collaborates with Commerce & Business Administration Administration, Commerce & Business Administration CE employees, and Douglas College CE departments in the review, revision and monitoring of CE policies and procedures related to CE programs including student and operational policy and procedures.
5. Monitors and addresses concerns related to performance of CE programs and operations.
6. In accordance with cost recovery principles and practices, partners with CEIT , external vendors and other service areas to ensure optimal operations.Administration
1. Prepares program budgets, develops enrollment projections and break-even estimates; assists in preparing financial statements of condition for each program in assigned areas of responsibility. Analyzes enrollment trends and actively participates in long-range planning for future program needs
2. Assesses and improves administrative procedures to ensure cost recovery, enhance efficiency and cost-effectiveness, while promoting a culture of continuous improvement.
3. Develops promotional materials and targeted marketing strategies, in conjunction with College Marketing team, designed to build awareness of CE programs and drive enrolments.
4. Administers and assists in development of instruments for course and program evaluation. 5. In conjunction with Commerce & Business Administration Administration, content experts, and external stakeholders, identifies and initiates the development of new cost recovery program ventures.
6. Participates as a member of internal and external committees relevant to CE interests. Develops and/or participates in ad hoc or ongoing committees relevant to CE interests
7. Researches, prepares, and distributes a variety of documents and materials, including those of a complex and/or highly sensitive nature. Documents include contracts, reports, proposals and other information for strategic planning and decision-making. This also includes budget submissions of staff modelling, contingency planning, minutes of confidential meetings, performance evaluations, and makes recommendations as appropriate.
8. Coordinates the dissemination and documentation of changes in processes and/or reviews of financial, human resources, and health and safety initiatives, policies and procedures.
9. Establishes and maintains efficient systems for records and information management consistent with College policies, processes and systems. Ensures the privacy and security of records and information.
10. Provides confidential administrative support to the Dean, Associate Dean, and Director as necessary. Represents management in the BCGEU grievance process and provides input for collective bargaining.
11. Liaises with internal departments such as Human Resources, Purchasing, Payroll, Finance, Registrar's Office, Centre` for Students with Disabilities, Student Services, Office for New Students, Douglas College Student Business Association, and Facilities, as required, to work towards common goals and develop processes and plans to support the activities of CE Commerce & Business Administration .Quality Management: Strategic Planning and Accreditation Process
1. Ensures that delivery and management of CE Commerce & Business Administration programs to high quality standards.
2. Assigns approvals, accreditation processes and resources to appropriate employees and monitors progress.
3. Assesses need for accreditation, approvals, and certification of new programsExternal and Contractor Relations
1. Responds to contractor enquiries and facilitates resolution of administrative issues.
2. Responsible for oversight of purchases related to CE service and supplies including requests for quotations, ensuring supplier and vendor systems oversight, monitoring of purchase quality and warranties.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need EDUCATION , EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
1. A Bachelor's Degree in a Adult Education or Business or related field is required. Master's degree in Adult Education or Business or related field preferred.
2. Three to five years' experience in Continuing Education or related post-secondary or similar experience at a management or leadership level. Demonstrated understanding of best practices in continuing education.
3. Teaching experience in post-secondary credit or non-credit an asset.
4. Two or more years of experience in working with and supervising teams with a minimum of one year in a unionized environment.
5. Experience in employee recruitment, selection and performance management in a unionized environment.
6. Formal course work in adult education, management, and supervision highly preferred. Proven supervisory experience including budget planning and management, employee supervision, employee development and process control.
7. Formal course work or experience in program development, maintenance and quality management and interpretation and development of policy and guidelines. Experience in program evaluation of educational programs highly preferred.
8. Formal course work or experience related to educational pedagogy in working with adult learners or professional continuing competence or upgrading highly preferred.
9. Proven project management skills including dealing with conflicting priorities, needs and deadlines.
10. Highly developed effective interpersonal, communication and team-building skills. Demonstrated experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization.
11. Experience supporting and maintaining accreditation processes.
12. Demonstrated ability to lead a team in a very fast-paced, complex and changing work environment.
13. Proven ability to accept responsibility, exercise initiative, and work with people effectively.
14. General knowledge of systems used in planning, organizing and establishing workflow schedules.
15. Knowledge of quality improvement, leadership and decision-making processes.
16. Skilled in the use of computer software applications, such as MS Office, and proven keyboarding skills at an intermediate to advanced level. Experience working with Banner is an asset.
17. Sound judgment and professionalism demonstrated by the ability to act tactfully, diplomatically, and with discretion in all contexts, internally and externally.
18. Excellent command of the English language, both written and oral.
Link to Full Position Profile Equity Statement
Douglas College is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and working environment. In support of this journey, we welcome all people to apply, including people from groups that are experiencing inequity, including, but not limited, to Indigenous Peoples, racialized or persons of colour, persons with mental or physical disabilities, persons who identify as women, and/or persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and persons of all faith identities, age, marital status, and parental status.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 08/30/2023 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
• Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online. • Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position. • The successful candidate will need to provide original documents of their education/academic credentials noted on their resume. • The position will be opened until filled
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/11284