Manager, Biostatistics & Analytics
Cardiac Services BC
1333 W Broadway, Vancouver
The Manager, Biostatistics is responsible for directing and providing statistical guidance on all activities related to analyses in support of policy and clinical research in Cardiac Services BC (CSBC), an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). This is a highly skilled technical position that is responsible for providing expert statistical direction to CSBC statistical staff, CSBC senior management and external stakeholders, including physicians and senior administrators in all five Health Authorities. This position requires a high degree of knowledge of the CSBC data holdings and the ability to communicate statistical concepts to a wide range of stakeholders both internal and external to PHSA.What you'll do
What you bring
- In collaboration with the Provincial Director, recruit staff through methods such as identifying vacancies, interviewing internal and external applicants, making hiring decisions, evaluating individual and team performance and maintaining department standards and procedures.
- Provide supervision, guidance and mentoring to all CSBC analytic staff and oversees the day-to-day operations of the team including reviewing workload assignments and adjusting schedules according to workload, setting priorities, coordinating and reporting on group activities.
- Respond to queries from internal or external stakeholders regarding data definitions, defining variables, data limitations, and coding procedures in CSBC registry.
- Review methodologies, data availability and limitations, make recommendations on improvement of study design, provides direction and guidance regarding statistical analyses and database aspects to analytic team, and manages the implementation of research projects.
- Assist in planning, preparing and implementing regular reports.
- Provide professional consulting and analysis services for clinicians and researchers. This includes identifying data availability and limitations, defining definitions, facilitating data requests, linking data between various resources, ensuring adequate data quality, performing statistical analyses and interpreting data, and co-authoring papers with researchers.
- Participate in negotiating data access and service agreements for data from the Ministry of Health, Vital Statistics, regional Health Authorities and other agencies in collaboration with the Provincial Director.
A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to a Master's Degree in Statistics or Biostatistics plus a minimum of eight (8) years recent related experience in statistics and/or the health information field in a large, complex organization including a minimum of three (3) years in a supervisory role.
- Advanced knowledge of descriptive statistics, statistical inference and modeling.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and system analysis skills including the ability to comprehend complex issues and related data/information.
- Demonstrated ability to develop complex and customized queries for relational databases.
- Ability to function in a self-directed manner, handle multiple concurrent tasks. Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to support working with and supervising a variety of people.
- Demonstrated skill as a leader, coach and change agent. Ability to prioritize workload to meet deadlines.
Skills & Knowledge
What we bring
- Awareness of and commitment to learning and understanding the Truth & Reconciliation Commission's 94 Calls to Action (2015), In Plain Sight Report (2020), BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019), and Reclaiming Power and Place Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women & Girls calls for justice, and how they intersect across the health care system.
- Supports team members on their learning journey, ensuring education strategy for team/department to implement Indigenous Cultural Safety at a practical level.
- Works collaboratively with appropriate Indigenous teams/departments to ensure ICS lens applied holistically.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- As a strong asset for consideration, we are looking for our successful candidate to have: Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Full-Time, Regular Salary Range:
$102,938-$147,974 /year. The starting salary for this position would be determined with consideration of the successful candidate's relevant education and experience, and would be in alignment with the provincial compensation reference plan. Salary will be prorated accordingly for part time roles.
1333 W Broadway, Vancouver BC
Applications accepted until position is filled
Hours of Work:
Monday to Friday, 0800-1600
147747As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments' unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey-one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of Insert Date of Expiration. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday - Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.