Position Summary Build a career with one of BC's Top Employers! www.bchousing.org/careers
Forward-Thinking | Client-Focused | Empowerment | Responsibility
BC Housing is the provincial Crown agency that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province.
We are a trusted leader and partner in providing housing solutions for British Columbians. Through safe, affordable and quality housing, we truly make a positive difference in people's lives and communities.
What makes BC housing such an inspiring place to work? Our passion for making a difference, our people strategy, our values and so much more!
We're seeking candidates who share the values of our organization and who are committed to helping those in need. Make a positive difference; an exciting opportunity awaits! Maintenance Worker Job ID: 2463 Short Term/Full Time (up to 2 years) Vancouver Island (Victoria), BC POSITION SUMMARY:
As a Maintenance Worker, you will use your knowledge and skills to perform a variety of troubleshooting, maintenance and repair duties, including:
- Repairing/replacing receptacles, ballasts, switches, fans, electrical fixtures, baseboard heaters, change breakers, smoke alarms, thermocouples, and repairing/replacing damaged wiring;
- Repairing/replacing plumbing fixtures, including toilets, sinks and basins, as well as water lines, and sanitary and storm piping;
- Replacing counter tops, cupboards, wall tiles, and sheet vinyl, installing doors, replacing locks on doors and windows, and repairing railings;
- Cleaning gutters and debris from roofs, replacing shingles, flashing repairs and emergency patching and caulking, snaking drains with power augers, and repairing and constructing fences, gates and concrete sidewalks, patios and ramps;
- Maintaining own inventory of tools as listed in Appendix B, Part III, and assisting in maintaining inventory of equipment and materials;
- Operating a BC Housing vehicle, including trailers, to load, unload and deliver materials, tools and equipment and/or employer's assets;
- Performing routine repairs and maintenance to appliances, equipment and HVAC equipment;
- Redirecting contractors where minor deviations in the performance of work specifications are noted, and reporting on major deviations in contract performance on modernization and improvement delivery programs;
- Ensuring adherence to safety procedures/practices when dealing with hazards;
- Utilizing tact and diplomacy, as required, referring tenants to other staff where appropriate, and occasionally exercising interpersonal and conflict resolution skills when dealing with tenants with complex health and social issues when other resources are not available;
- Responding to emergencies, including non-maintenance calls when the Building Manager is not on site, and making emergency repairs or calling emergency services (police, fire, mental health);
Performing minor electrical, plumbing and carpentry maintenance and emergency repair duties listed for Building Manager in Appendix B, Part 1, such as changing fuses, resetting thermostats, snaking drains and replacing hardware QUALIFICATIONS:
The skilled Maintenance Worker required by this role will have:
- a high school diploma and two years' related maintenance experience
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- a valid Class 5 BC driver's licence and satisfactory driving record.
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the employer.
You must be able to supply your own set of tools, as required by the employer. You will receive a replacement allowance once you are qualified.
Please note: The successful applicant(s) will be required to complete a satisfactory criminal record check. Please review the Job Description prior to applying
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no) The benefits of joining a Top Employer!
We didn't become one of BC's Top Employers and one of Canada's Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
All of our employees are rewarded with a competitive remuneration package and a host of great benefits. We're also a social and inclusive team that supports our people through ongoing training and learning opportunities. We genuinely appreciate the amazing effort our people to each and every day and so we have Rewards and Recognition programs that celebrate great effort, long service, environmental awareness, good ideas and positive change.
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
To be considered for this competition, please submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they you meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
When applying, please submit your cover letter and application as one single document as a word or pdf file only.
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada. Have Questions? Please see below for some useful information.
Follow us on Twitter @ BCHjobs to find out about positions as they come available.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept resumes/cover letters by any other form than online at https://www.bchousing.org/careers . This helps to ensure privacy, as well as timeliness for applicants.