Position Summary Maintenance Worker - Short-Term/Full-Time Job ID: 2218; Metro Vancouver, BC Electrical, plumbing and carpentry skills are all part of your tool kit
As a resourceful handy-person with diverse maintenance skills, you're fully capable of attending to electrical, plumbing and carpentry maintenance and emergency repair tasks. However, it will be your exceptional communication and people skills that will make you an invaluable member of the Operations team as it supports and maintains a stable living environment for BC Housing tenants. Tactful and able to size up situations quickly, you may be called on to provide training to non-profit housing partners, occasionally refer tenants-some of whom face complex health and social challenges-to other staff on our multi-disciplined teams or resolve conflicts as they arise.
As a BC Housing employee, expect to be part of a well-managed organization where people are passionate about their socially relevant work.
Some specifics of your role include:
- electrical troubleshooting and repairs in housing units including routine maintenance to stoves and fridges such as replacing elements, switches, timers, thermostats and gaskets and resolving heating problems such as replacing zone valves, thermostats, transformers, motors and electronic controls
- plumbing repairs and fixture replacements
- carpentry repairs and maintenance such as door installations and replacing locks, railings, counter tops, cupboards, wall tiles and sheet vinyl
- exterior repairs and maintenance such as cleaning gutters and debris from roofs, replacing shingles, flashing repairs, emergency patching and caulking, snaking drains with power augers and repairing and constructing fences, gates and concrete sidewalks, patios and ramps
- the use of a vehicle for travel between sites and for off-hours emergency response; and its maintenance will be your responsibility
- responding to non-maintenance emergency calls when the Building Manager is not on site and making emergency repairs or calls to emergency services (police, fire, mental health) as appropriate.
Prior to applying, please review the Job Description.
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
- a high school diploma and two years' related maintenance experience
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- a valid Class 5 BC driver's licence and satisfactory driving record.
You must be able to supply your own set of tools as required by the employer. You will receive a replacement allowance once you are qualified. Please note: successful applicant(s) will be required to complete a satisfactory criminal record check.
BC Housing- one of BC's Top Employers for 2016 -is the provincial Crown agency that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
To apply for the role of Maintenance Worker
or to view the full job description and other opportunities, please visit www.bchousing.org/careers .
To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume
clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
When applying, please submit a cover letter and your application in **one** single document as a word or pdf file only.
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada. Please see below for some useful information/tips regarding e-Recruit.
- Most people find answers to their questions related to e-Recruit at " https://www.bchousing.org/resources/Job_Centre/PDFs/ERecruit-FAQ.pdf " where you can check out help guides and FAQs.
- Unfortunately, we cannot accept resumes/cover letters by any other form than online at https://www.bchousing.org/careers . This helps to ensure privacy, as well as timeliness for applicants.
- While we may receive applications from many qualified applicants, we will only be contacting those who are shortlisted.
- Follow us on Twitter @BCHjobs to get up-to-the moment information regarding our vacancies.
- If you have any questions that are not answered in our FAQ's please contact [email protected]
Posted: November 30, 2016
Closes:January 29, 2017