MAC OP 06R - Machine Operator - CLOSING DATE EXTENDED
Machine Operator R6
Vernon, BC V1T 9V2 CA (Primary)
$42,191.09 - $47,428.26 annually
Temporary End Date
BC Public Service -> Ministry of Forests
Ministry Branch / Division
Forest Improvement and Research Management Branch / OCF
Job Summary You are committed to excellence in sustainable forest management
The position is responsible for carrying out a variety of general labour activities relating to the care and maintenance of seed orchards and picking cones. This position also operates a variety of light to heavy-duty machinery and equipment and carries out routine site and building maintenance functions under direction of a supervisor.Job Requirements:
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
• Physically fit and able to lift supplies (i.e. bags of fertilizer, cones buckets, etc.) and operate equipment (i.e. ATVs, orchard lifts, pruners, weed eaters, mowers, etc.) on an on-going basis.
• Able to work outdoors in all types of weather, including winter cold weather, and with potential allergens such as pollen, grass, insects, chemical pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers; as well as ability to work at heights using lifts and ladders.
• Preference may be given to candidates with demonstrated experience operating and maintaining farm or agricultural tractors (up to 90hp) and equipment (eg. Bobcats spray tanks etc.)
• Preference may be given to candidates with manual labour or outdoor working experience; prefer experience working with plants; i.e. tree planter, gardener, landscaper, orchard worker, and cone picking, or equivalent training and experience.
• Preference may be given to candidates with experience in horticulture, silviculture or forestry.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Basic knowledge of safe work practices and a good safety attitude.
• Ability to follow instructions/requirements, complete tasks on time and work independently and in a team.
• Demonstrated ability to read labels and instructions and communicate clearly.
• Completion of an ATV safety course if driving ATV is expected.
• Demonstrated mechanical aptitude required.
For questions regarding this position, please contact Katelyn.Hengel@gov.bc.ca
.About this Position:
Amendment February 3, 2023: Closing date extended to February 14, 2023.
This is a temporary opportunity until September 29, 2023 and may be extended.
An eligibility list may be established.Working for the BC Public Service:
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service can help Indigenous applicants (First Nations [status or non-status],Métis or Inuit) interested in BC Public Service job positions.How to Apply:
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the job requirements list above.Cover Letter: NO -
Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.Resume: YES -
Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.Online Questionnaire: YES -
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete an online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements.
Helpful tips, videos and more regarding the application process can be found on the Your Job Application page of MyHR. If you are experiencing technical difficulty applying, e-mail BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible.Additional Information:
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
The BC Public Service COVID-19 Vaccination Policy defines the conditions and expectations for BC Public Service employees regarding vaccination against COVID-19. Among other possible measures, proof of vaccination will be required. It is a term of acceptance of employment that you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the public service. More information can be found here .
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located at the bottom of the posting.
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
Natural Resource Sector, Trades and Operational