LSO FORS 3 - Research Scientist Stand Development
Licensed Sc Off Forester 3
Kamloops, BC V2H 1B7 CA
Multiple Locations, BC CA (Primary)
Nanaimo, BC V9T 6L8 CA
Nelson, BC V1L 6K1 CA
Prince George, BC V2N4P7 CA
Vernon, BC V1T 9V2 CA
Victoria, BC V9B 6X2 CA
$68,008.54 - $85,592.73 annually
Regular Full Time
Temporary End Date
BC Public Service -> Ministry of Forests
Ministry Branch / Division
Forest Science, Planning and Practices Branch
Job Summary Research Scientist Stand Development
Licensed Science Officer [Forester] 3
An eligibility list may be established for future temporary or permanent vacancies.
On November 1, 2021 the BC Public Service announced the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that defines the conditions and expectations for BC Public Service employees regarding vaccination against COVID-19. Among other possible measures, proof of vaccination will be required. It is a term of acceptance of employment that you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the public service. More information can be found here .Bring your passion for research to this vital role
This position is a provincial stand development expert providing program direction, information and guidance and scientific expertise respecting provincial silviculture and forest stand dynamics contributions to legislation, policy and practice. As a scientific advisor in the field of natural resource management this position provides professional advice on techniques and procedures in growth and yield analysis, modeling forest stand dynamics and forest mensuration. This position identifies priority research needs supporting science-based decision-making, plans and manages or conducts research projects, ensures linkages with other forest management planning, and prepares extension materials communicating research results to solve resource management and stewardship issues and improve practices at the landscape level. One area of research emphasis is hardwood and mixed-wood stand management.
Working for BC Public Service offers a competitive salary, diverse work environment, a healthy work/life balance, and excellent benefits. In addition to the base salary for Professional Employee Association members, there is an allowance to cover professional fees, strong dental and medical plans and much more . Salary listed does not include the additional 7% Overtime Shift Standby (OSS) provision that can be taken astaken as time off or salary on an annual basis which is on top offour (4)weeks annual leave.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For information about the Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service please visit: Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca) .
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Jodi.Axelson@gov.bc.ca
. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.
For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you. NOTE:
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Requirements:
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education, experience and professional designation requirementas outlined below:
- Thesis-based Pd.D. (preferred) or M.Sc. degree, specializing in forestry, natural resource management, or agriculture plus a minimum of five years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered.
- Registered or eligible for registration as Registered Professional Forester with the Association of BC Forest Professionals or a Professional Agrologist with the BC Institute of Agrologists.Note: immed iately eligible for registration is defined as being able to transfer a current membership from an applicable jurisdiction. Applicants must confirm their eligibility with their Association. Confirmation of registration/eligibility will be required before an offer of employment can be made.
- Experience working on silvicultural systems, forest stand dynamics, and/or hardwood and mixed-wood management.
- Experience planning, preparing and presenting written material including briefing notes, scientific research reports, technical guidelines, and/or publications (i.e., peer-review)
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
- Must be willing and able to conduct field work which may include working outside normal hours, travel to remote areas by vehicle, boat, air or foot, overnight or extended stay in rough camp conditions and outdoor work in all weather conditions.
- Must have and maintain a valid Class 5 BC driver's licence.
- Must have, or be willing to obtain Level 1 First Aid Certification.
- Must be willing and able to fly in planes and helicopters.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC)will berequired. APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Professional Designation: YES -
Please include your registration number in your application. You must be registered (or immediately eligible for registration) as a Professional Forester with the Association of BC Forest Professionals or as a Professional Agrologist with the BCIA. Note
: immediately eligible for registration is defined as being able to transfer a current membership from an applicable jurisdiction. Applicants must confirm their eligibility with the ABCFP or BCIA . Confirmation of registration/eligibility will be required before an offer of employment can be made. Cover Letter: NO
- Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed. Resume: YES
- Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying. Questionnaire (COMPREHENSIVE): YES -
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.IMPORTANT
: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.
Scientific and Technical