LSO FORS 2 - Practices Forester - CLOSING DATE EXTENDED
Licensed Sc Off Forester 2
Prince George, BC V2N4P7 CA (Primary)
$61,182.54 - $77,067.27 annually
Regular Full Time
Temporary End Date
BC Public Service -> Ministry of Forests
Ministry Branch / Division
BC Timber Sales / Prince George Business Area
Job Summary Practices Forester
Licensed Science Officer (Forester) 2
Amendment December 6, 2022: Posting closing date extended to December 20, 2022.
An eligibility list may be established for similar vacancies within the BC Timber Sales Prince George Business Area, Prince George.
On November 1, 2021 the BC Public Service announced the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that defines the conditions and expectations for BC Public Service employees regarding vaccination against COVID-19. Among other possible measures, proof of vaccination will be required. It is a term of acceptance of employment that you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the public service. More information can be found here .
Applicants who do not fully meet the required qualifications may be considered for this position, but at a lower classification.A great next step in your career!
BC Timber Sales (BCTS)manages about 20 per cent of the province's allowable annual cut forCrown timber,generating economic prosperity for British Columbians through the safe, sustainable development and auction of Crown timber. BCTS operates in 33 communities and directly supports over 8,000 jobs across BC.
Data from our operations are used to help determine the market value of the timber harvested from public land and ensures British Columbiansreceive fairvalue from their timber resources.
BCTS also supports government's commitment to true, lasting reconciliation with First Nations in BCas we move toward fully adopting and implementing the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and the Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
The goal of BCTS is to provide credible representative price and cost benchmark data for the market pricing system through auctions of timber harvested from public land in BC. BCTS has three objectives supporting its goal:
- Objective 1:Sell the full BCTS apportionment over the business cycle, consistent with safe practices, sustainable forest management, and reconciliation with Indigenous peoples.
- Objective 2:Generate direct net revenue and indirect revenue for the Province over the business cycle.
- Objective 3:Continuous business improvement - within BCTS, across government and with third parties.
To find out more about our program check out the BCTS website .
The Practices Forester is accountable for performing a wide variety of professional services including operational planning, cut block and forest road layout and development, planning and evaluating silviculture activities, and ensuring compliance with the Forest Stewardship Plan. The range of duties assigned to a particular Practices Forester will vary from Business Area to Business Area due to the geographic location, apportionment and management requirements.
Prince George is the largest city in Northern British Columbia, and boasts a wide variety of restaurants and entertainment, including the Prince George Symphony Orchestra. Prince George is also located next to several provincial parks, which provide camping and boating amenities.
In addition to this exciting opportunity and amazing location, the BC Public Service is an award-winningemployer in British Columbia, including such accolades as being one of BC's Top Employers for 2021, one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for 2021 and one of Canada's Top Family-Friendly Employers in 2021.
The BC Public Service offers a healthy work/life balance, excellent benefits , including one of the best pension plans available, and a variety of opportunities for career learning anddevelopment. Regular, full time Professional Employee Association members are also entitled to 7% allowance in Lieu of Overtime Shiftwork and Standby (taken as time or money), have a 35 hour work week, and 4 weeks' annual paidleave entitlement.To find out more, explore What the BC Public Service offers You .
A career path in BC Timber Sales offers exceptional opportunities to develop new solutions to complex problems, and to learn and grow personally and professionally. Existing and future BCTS employees have the opportunity to impact public and private forests, communities, the economy and the lives of British Columbians in positive and unique ways.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service is available to applicants that self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, status or non-status, Métis, or Inuit) seeking work or already employed in the BC Public Service. For information about the Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service please visit: Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca)
Explore the opportunities and value working with our team can offer you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it-9laHaKyc&feature=youtu.be
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, requirements and qualifications, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Raymond.Jacob@gov.bc.ca
. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.
For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website.NOTE:
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Requirements:
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education, experience and professional designation requirements as outlined below:
- A Registered Professional Forester (RPF) or be eligible for registration as an RPF with the Association of BC Forest Professionals and two (2) years of experience in operational field forestry activities.
Operational field forestry activities include the following:
- Timber harvesting monitoring/conformance
- Cut-block development
- Forest road engineering
- Timber tenure development and administration
- Planning integrated resource management
- Must possess at minimum a valid Class 5 BC Driver's Licence that does not limit or restrict the ability to conduct the duties of the job.
- Must be willing and able to withstand the rigors of fieldwork.
- Must be willing to work in adverse weather conditions.
- Must be willing and able to travel to meet job requirements.
- Must be willing and able to travel in fixed and or rotary winged aircraft and or watercraft.
- Must be able to maintain membership with the Association of British Columbia Forest Professionals as a member in good standing.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
- Preference may be given to candidates with experience in more than one (1) operational field forestry activity.
- Experience working with Indigenous Peoples.
- Experience in contract management.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:Professional Designation: YES - Please include your registration number in your application.
You must be registered (or immediately eligible for registration) as a Professional Forester with the Association of BC Forest Professionals. Note:
immediately eligible for registration is defined as being able to transfer a current membership from an applicable jurisdiction. Applicants must confirm their eligibility with the ABCFP . Confirmation of registration/eligibility will be required before an offer of employment can be made.Cover letter required: NO
- Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed. Please select "SKIP" on the cover letter screen to continue with your application.Resume: YES
- Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.Questionnaire (COMPREHENSIVE): YES
- As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.IMPORTANT:
Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.
Natural Resource Sector, Scientific and Technical