LSO 2 - Practices Forester Position Classification
Licensed Sc Off Forester 2 Union
Fort St James, BC V0J 1P0 CA (Primary)Salary Range
$59,982.95- $75,301.02 annually (plus $38.87 Bi-weekly Isolation Allowance) Close Date
12/6/2020 Job Type
Regular Full Time Temporary End Date Ministry/Organization
BC Public Service -> FLNRO and Rural Development Ministry Branch / Division
Regional Operations Division - North Area/BCTS/Stuart-Nechako Business Area Job Summary Practices Forester
Licensed Scientific Officer Forester 2
An eligibility list may be established for similar vacancies within the BC Timber Sales Stewart-Nechako Business Area, Fort St James.
Applicants who do not fully meet the required qualifications may be considered for this position, but at a lower classification.You are committed to excellence in sustainable forest management
BC Timber Sales (BCTS)manages about 20 per cent of the province's allowable annual cut forCrown timber,generating economic prosperity for British Columbians through the safe, sustainable development and auction of Crown timber. BCTS operates in 33 communities and directly supports over 8,000 jobs across B.C.
Data from our operations are used to help determine the market value of the timber harvested from public land and ensures British Columbiansreceive fairvalue from their timber resources.
BCTS also supports government's commitment to true, lasting reconciliation with First Nations in BCas we move toward fully adopting and implementing the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and the Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
The goal of BCTS is to provide credible representative price and cost benchmark data for the market pricing system through auctions of timber harvested from public land in BC. BCTS has three objectives supporting its goal:
- Objective 1:Sell the full BCTS apportionment over the business cycle, consistent with safe practices, sustainable forest management, and reconciliation with Indigenous peoples.
- Objective 2:Generate direct net revenue and indirect revenue for the Province over the business cycle.
- Objective 3:Continuous business improvement - within BCTS, across government and with third parties.
To find out more about our program check out the BCTS website
The Practices Forester is accountable for performing a wide variety of professional services including operational planning, cut block and forest road layout and development, planning and evaluating silviculture activities, and ensuring compliance with the Forest Stewardship Plan. The range of duties assigned to a particular Practices Forester will vary from Business Area to Business Area due to the geographic location, apportionment and management requirements.
Fort St. James i s a beautiful community that sits next to Stuart Lake, with water-skiing and fresh-water fishing excursions available. Snowboarding and downhill skiing are popular, as well as cross-country skiing just north of town at Murray Ridge. Fort. St. James is surrounded by various First Nation communities, and festivals are a common occurrence.
In addition to this exciting opportunity and amazing locations, the BC Public Service is an award-winningemployer in British Columbia, including such accolades as being one of BC's Top Employers for 2017, one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for 2018 and one of Canada's Top Family-Friendly Employers in 2017.
The BC Public Service offers a healthy work/life balance, excellent benefits , including one of the best pension plans available, and a variety of opportunities for career learning anddevelopment. Regular, full time Professional Employee Association members are also entitled to 7% allowance in Lieu of Overtime Shiftwork and Standby (taken as time or money), have a 35 hour work week, and 4 weeks' annual paidleave entitlement.To find out more, explore What the BC Public Service offers You
A career path in BC Timber Sales offers exceptional opportunities to develop new solutions to complex problems, and to learn and grow personally and professionally. Existing and future BCTS employees have the opportunity to impact public and private forests, communities, the economy and the lives of British Columbians in positive and unique ways.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Explore the opportunities and value working with our team can offer you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it-9laHaKyc&feature=youtu.be .
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, requirements and qualifications, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Betty.Baker@gov.bc.ca
. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS
. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website.NOTE:
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Requirements:
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education, experience and professional designation requirements as outlined below:
- A Registered Professional Forester (RPF), or be eligible for registration as an RPF with the Association of BC Forest Professionals and two years of experience in operational field forestry activities
- Operational field forestry activities include the following:
- Timber harvesting monitoring/conformance
- Cut-block development
- Forest road engineering
- Timber tenure development and administration
- Planning integrated resource management
- Must be willing and able to withstand the rigors of fieldwork.
- Must be willing to work in adverse weather conditions.
- Must be willing and able to travel to meet job requirements.
- Must be willing and able to travel in fixed and or rotary winged aircraft and or watercraft.
- Must be able to maintain membership with the Association of British Columbia Forest Professionals as a member in good standing.
- Preference may be given to candidates with experience in more than one operational field forestry activity
- Experience working with Indigenous Peoples
- Experience in contract management
Please include your registration number with theAssociation of BC Forest Professionals ( ABCFP ) within your applicationas you must be registered or immediately eligible for registration as a Registered Professional Forester (RPF) with the ABCFP. If you are not yet registered with the ABCFP, please explain how you are immediately eligible (i.e. currently a registered RPF member in good standing in another Canadian jurisdiction and can immediately transfer tothe ABCFP ).
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Cover letter required:NO
- Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed. Please select "SKIP" on the cover letter screen to continue with your application.Resume: YES
- Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.Questionnaire - YES (COMPREHENSIVE)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.IMPORTANT
: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.Job Category
Natural Resource Sector, Scientific and Technical