** Financial Support for Moving Expenses is available for this position **
Are you someone who has a real passion for helping others? Are you looking to highlight your knowledge, skills, and abilities in a new and dynamic environment? We currently have an exciting opportunity for you to bring your excellent work ethic to our Specialized Services department.
Reporting to the Team Lead or designate, the Lifeskills Worker-Specialized MHSU Outreach provides outreach community-based support services, assists in mental health and substance use treatment, provides life skills training, coaching, advocacy, and support to clients experiencing mental health, behavioral, and developmental problems and to their caregivers/families, in accordance with an established plan of treatment/care. Motivates, assists, and instructs clients with the activities of daily living, reports clients' progress and condition, including reactions to medications.Shift Rotation/Hours of work:
Days, Nights - 08:15 to 19:30, 19:30 to 06:45, rotating Terrace
has a population 12,700 (2021) residents. The community of Terrace is northern living at its best. Snow-capped mountains, pristine glacier-fed rivers, lakes and streams all add to the beauty of this community. Check out Terrace where there is always something new to experience.What Northern Health has to offer you!
• Comprehensive benefit packages including MSP, extended health/dental and a municipal pension plan for part-time and full-time employees. Casuals have the option of paying for benefits.
• Three weeks vacation with one year of continuous service
• Financial Support for Moving Expenses is available for eligible positions
• Employee referral program
• Employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
• Spectacular outdoor activities and the shortest commutes in BC
• "Loan Forgiveness Programs" are offered through the Federal and BC Government for eligible professions. Qualifications
• Diploma in Community Social Services, e.g., Mental Health Worker, Community Health Worker, or Social
• Services Worker including post-secondary education in counselling skills training.
• Two (2) years recent related experience working with individuals with mental illness/ substance use issues
• including teaching life skills, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
• Current CPR certificate.
• Current Food Safe certificate.
• Valid Class 5 BC Drivers Licence and access to personal vehicle with appropriate business insurance coverage.Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of legislation such as the Mental Health Act and the Guardianship Act.
• Knowledge of available programs, their interrelationships, and their function in delivering care in the
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to deal with others effectively.
• Ability to prioritize and organize client demands made and care needs.
• Ability to problem solve.
• Ability to teach life skills.
• Sound judgment and good observation skills.
• Ability to demonstrate an appropriate level of initiative and independence.
• Ability to work cooperatively as part of a multidisciplinary team.
• Ability to promote positive change and independence.
• Physical and ability to carry out the duties of the position.
• Ability to operate related equipment.Who we are
Northern Health covers an area of nearly 600,000 square kilometers and offers health services in over two dozen communities and 55 First Nation's communities. We deliver hospital and community-based health care for a population of 300,000.
Employing more than 7,000 staff throughout the region, Northern Health provides exceptional health services for Northerners, through the efforts of dedicated staff and physicians, in partnership with communities and organizations in Northern BC.
There is a wide variety of career opportunities available in our two dozen hospitals, 25 long-term care facilities, public health units and many other offices providing specialized services.