Position Title Library Student Assistant Posting Number 00644SA Location New Westminster/Coquitlam Campus Grade or Pay Level SA - Pay Level I Salary Range $13.85/hour Position Type Student Assistant Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Part Time Posting Category Student Assistants Start Date 09/03/2019 End Date Day of the Week Other Shift See Work Arrangements Work Arrangements
Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Fall 2019: September 3, 2019 - December 16, 2019
2. Winter 2020: January 2, 2020 - April 22, 2020
3. Summer 2020: May 4, 2020 - August 16, 2020
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The Library at Douglas College is looking for a Library Student Assistant to assist with the planning and implementation of various library events and programming throughout the semester. The Library Student Assistant will provide support and information to new students at services fairs, library events, and other outreach initiatives.Responsibilities
• Assisting with setting up the Services Fair tables and informing new students on the services and resources available at the Library
• Represent the library, both on and off campus, and engage with students and faculty at orientation sessions, such as Douglas International, New Student Orientation, Aboriginal Student Orientation, New Employee Orientation, graduation etc.
• Assisting with event set up, and help develop and create library events.
• Assisting with campus wide events, such as setting up the Relaxation Stations during Beyond the Blues and Exam Jam
• Assisting with planning and promoting Douglas College's first Indigenous Book Club
• Assisting with increasing student engagement in library programs and events
• Experience with using social media, including taking pictures at events and posting to Twitter and/or Instagram and Facebook
• Provide ideas for developing other programs at the Library that students will find engaging and meaningful
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
• Be enthusiastic about the Library and Douglas College
• Be able to keep up with your studies
• Be sociable, energetic and approachable
• Have a strong knowledge of the Library's resources, services and, supports
• Have volunteered or have some experience or knowledge in event planning
• Have the ability to deal with issues with maturity and thoughtfulness as they arise
• Is detail-oriented, organized, responsible, professional and flexible
• Is comfortable and has the ability to work with limited supervision
• Has an open mind to cultures, practices, and sexual orientations different from your own
• Has excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills
• Is committed to inclusion and is culturally sensitive to the unique challenges of diverse student groups
• Has the flexibility to work at either campus (New Westminster and the Coquitlam Campus)
• Has a basic working knowledge of Windows, MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint
Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in British Columbia throughout the work term
International students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation - "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria." Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 08/09/2019 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Please include the following:
- Douglas College Student ID number or indicate if you are enrolled in another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C.
- Domestic or International student status
- Being eligible to work please indicate the work terms you are applying for:
1. Fall 2019
2. Winter 2020
3. Summer 2020
- If selected for an interview please bring one of the following:
1. Proof of enrollment for work term from Douglas College OR
2. Proof of enrollment for work term from another post-secondary institution OR
3. Domestic students only: proof of registration for the term immediately preceding the work term and indication of intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting http://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/4953