LG CNSL 3 - Legal Counsel - Amended Position Classification
Legal Counsel Level 3 Union
N/A Work Options
Multiple Locations, BC CA (Primary)
Vancouver, BC V6B 0N8 CA
Victoria, BC V9B 6X2 CASalary Range
$189,505.37 - $217,618.68 annually Close Date
6/13/2023 Job Type
Regular Full Time Temporary End Date
BC Public Service -> Attorney General Ministry Branch / Division
Legal Services Branch Job Summary An exciting opportunity to practice in the Litigation Group.
Lawyers in the Legal Services Branch discharge the duties and functions assigned to the Attorney General under the Attorney General Act. Legal Counsel 3 represent the Attorney, the Province and other government associated persons and entities in all levels of court. Legal Counsel 3 are expected to negotiate and recommend settlements where appropriate and provide litigation-related advice in every area of government practice. The work of a Legal Counsel 3 involves matters of a confidential and sensitive nature.
This position is for a legal counsel within the Legal Services Branch for a temporary position as Legal Counsel 3 in the Litigation Group. The successful candidate will work for the Civil Forfeiture Legal Team dealing with fast-paced, plaintiff-side litigation and providing advice relating to the Civil Forfeiture Act. Members of the Civil Forfeiture Legal Team work closely with the Directors of Civil Forfeiture to manage litigation involving the forfeiture of property that has been used in or acquired through unlawful activity.
The successful candidate will ideally have the following skills, abilities, and competencies:
- excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- previous experience managing a large and varied litigation caseload;
- ability to manage a practice with competing priorities and significant volume;
- strong analytical, problem-solving and research skills;
- strong interpersonal skills and a collaborative approach to their work;
- strong command of the Supreme Court Civil Rules;
- strong ethical principles reflective of the high standards expected of public servants;
- strong understanding of Criminal law and Charter law in the context of alleged breaches and remedies;
- ability to provide advice on short timelines;
- excellent judgment;
- public service dedication and strategic orientation;
- experience with litigation involving financial analysis and/or tracing of assets;
- ability to supervise and delegate tasks to support staff and junior counsel in a respectful manner; and
- ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- must be a member in good standing, or immediately eligible to become a member, of the Law Society of British Columbia;
- twelve or more years of call to the bar in a Canadian jurisdiction; and
- experience in the conduct of litigation at the Supreme Court of British Columbia and/or the British Columbia Court of Appeal.
Preference may be given to candidates:
- who demonstrate more of the skills, abilities and competencies listed above;
- with litigation experience working for or against government or government-related entities or persons
- with extensive experience with the rules of evidence and the Supreme Court Civil Rules;
- with experience providing advice or representation on constitutional issues, including arguments challenging or defending the validity of legislation, and seeking exclusion of evidence for alleged Charter breaches;
- recent experience in the conduct of civil litigation at the Supreme Court of British Columbia and/or the British Columbia Court of Appeal;
- recent trial experience;
- significant experience working as a member of a litigation team, including but not limited to paralegals, legal assistants, and junior counsel; and
- significant experience with financial analysis, including asset tracing, income/debt analysis, security interests and priority interests, etc.
For questions regarding this position, please contact Bora.Won@gov.bc.ca About this Position:
Amendment (June 6): Salary updated.
There are two (2) temporary opportunities available until August 5th, 2024.This position is excluded from union membership. An eligibility list may be established to fill future temporary and permanent vacancies.
This position can be based in any of the following Legal Services Branchoffices: Vancouver or Victoria. Flexible work options are available; this position may be able to work from home a few days a week as per the Telework Agreement.Working for the BC Public Service:
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service is available to applicants that self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, status or non-status, Métis, or Inuit) seeking work or already employed in the BC Public Service. For guidance on applying and interviewing, please contact IndigenousApplicants@gov.bc.ca
or 778-405-3452.How to Apply:
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the job requirements listed above:Cover Letter: YES
- A cover letter is required as part of your application. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.Resume: YES
- Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.Questionnaire: YES
- You will need to complete a standard questionnaire (current employment status, eligibility to apply, etc.).
Helpful tips, videos and more regarding the application process can be found on the Your Job Application page of MyHR. If you are experiencing technical difficulty applying, e-mail BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible.Additional Information:
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located at the bottom of the posting.
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Category
Court and Judicial Services