· LEGAL ASSISTANT OR PARALEGAL (WILLS & ESTATES)
Toews & Company is a busy and growing general law practice in beautiful Squamish, British Columbia. As a general practice law firm, we deal with corporate, wills & estates, conveyancing, family law, estate litigation and other civil litigation. We are looking for a paralegal or an experienced legal assistant to join our current team of two lawyers, one paralegal and four legal assistants. Join us in the outdoor capital of Canada and have the work-life balance to enjoy it!
We are looking for a part-time paralegal or legal assistant with 3+ years’ experience. The position has the potential to increase to full-time if the candidate would like to grow into other areas of law.
- Preparing new estate files, certificates of appointment, inventory, and distribution of estates assets;
- Preparing probate and estate administration documents;
- Working with clients to gather information and assisting with client meetings;
- Liaising with various external bodies including beneficiaries, financial institutions, the Public Guardian and Trustee’s office;
- Drafting wills, POAs, RA’s and other estate and incapacity planning documents;
- Conducting searches, such as corporate, land title and personal property;
- Handling administrative and procedural details with respect to maintaining contacts, e-filing, client list, accounting, opening and closing files and billing;
- Handling all clients with professionalism and in a courteous manner;
- Keeping files moving forward with minimum direction from lawyer; and
- Preparing routine letters and preparation of notarial files as required.
- At least 3 years’ experience in a legal environment with estates experience;
- A Legal Assistant or Paralegal certificate or diploma;
- Strong knowledge and understanding of wills & estates procedures;
- In-depth knowledge of the technical nature and legal aspects of the different types of estate administration documentation and procedures;
- Strong computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office, Adobe, BC Online and my LTSA;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Great attention to detail; and
- Ability to work independently on tasks and in a team-oriented setting.
Toews & Company can offer a flexible work environment, mentorship, the ability to grow your experience in different areas of law, a competitive salary and benefits package.
If this sounds like you, please forward your resume in confidence to the attention of Linnea Murphy at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, only successful candidates will be notified.