We have an urgent F/T opening with a large law firm in Surrey Central for an LAA to support two partners in the Land Development area of the Corporate Commercial group. The role is in-office but there is the potential to work one day a week from home.
The firm provides high-end legal services to a wide variety of clients and takes great pride in their commitment to the community and actively promoting a collegial workplace.
You’ll get to work quickly too, thanks to their highly accessible office location, directly adjacent to the Gateway SkyTrain station.
What You'll Do
You will be an integral part of the land development team, critical to the success of both the lawyers you work with and the clients. Along your journey of providing invaluable assistance to clients with their challenges, you will be responsible for:
- Administering clients’ files, including file opening (conflict searches, client identifications and other tasks), scanning documents, filing (primarily electronically), billing and file closings (reporting letters).
- Preparing and filing of land title documents to Land Title Office for development projects (ie: Covenants, Easements, SRW Applications to Deposit Plans, Local Government Notice).
- Conducting BC Online and Land Title Office searches (title searches, BC assessments, company searches, etc.).
- Filing development disclosure statements and submitting appropriate documentation to the BCFSA.
- Acting as the point person for development pre-sale contracts and deposits; handle deposit releases pursuant to the Deposit Protection Insurance Act.
- Preparing various forms including: Form A Transfer, Property Transfer Tax Form, and Land Owner Transparency Registry Form
- Drafting various correspondence to clients.
- Maintaining development pre-sale deposit spreadsheet.
- Communicating with vendors, purchasers, financial institutions, lenders, clients, lawyers, realtors, brokers and others as required in a timely fashion.
- Liaising with legal assistants, paralegals, and lawyers on file progress.
- Completing any other administrative duties as requested/required.
What You Bring
- 5+ years as a Legal Assistant in a similar role with comparable responsibilities.
- A legal administrative assistant certification from an accredited post-secondary institution.
- Ability exercise discretion and respect confidentiality
- Strong working knowledge of court rules and procedures
- Strong understanding of BC Land Title Office registration requirements and experience with e-filing.
- MS Office, Worldox, BC Online, ESILaw 360
- Superior organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle a high volume of work with tight deadlines and keen attention to detail.
- Proactive self-starter who has a positive and energetic attitude.
- Calm under pressure and eager to take on challenges.
What's In It For You
The firm offers an excellent salary, great benefits, vacation time & sick days, an RRSP program, on-site fitness facility, tuition reimbursement and casual Fridays.