Closing Date: August 25, 2022
Reporting to the Senior Lead, Environmental Operations, the Lead, Water Management is responsible for leading water balance assessments and water management risk reduction, while ensuring alignment with Operations, Regional Water Quality Modelling, and the Teck Water Governance Framework. You will be leading our water management working groups on site from our centralized Environment team in Sparwood, British Columbia, and travel to multiple operations within the Elk Valley.
To be successful, we require someone with strong interpersonal, and communication skills, who can influence others and gain compliance through outstanding relationship building. Responsible for collaborating closely with the regional water monitoring, water quality, water treatment teams, this person thrives in a team environment and can present to a variety of audiences. Leadership and mentoring skills would be vital for success.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a key team to the ongoing sustainability of our mines. There will be opportunities for innovation to ensure continuous improvement of our water management program, and you will get to drive projects and change!
Join us in the breathtaking Elk Valley of British Columbia. Here you will find outdoor adventure at your fingertips. Whether it's biking and skiing, or the laid-back atmosphere of fishing and hiking, there is something for everyone! Working a compressed work week with alternating Fridays off, come experience what work life balance is all about! Responsibilities:
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures.
- Provide numerical modelling expertise for hydrological, hydrogeological, climate change, water quality and hydraulic structure design and management
- Provide leadership and technical guidance in response to environmental incidents related to water management for major development projects and mine planning
- Advise on surface water, groundwater, hydrology, and pit dewatering programs
- Guide and support the water management planning processes for operations, and lead key initiatives, such as assessments of water management facilities at all the operations
- Develop and provide support for regional mitigation plans, such as nitrogen management, water management discharge plan, and flood and freshet plans
- Build and maintain positive relationships with government agencies, Indigenous groups, and local communities of interest
- Ensure regional regulatory commitments, conditions, and regulations relating to Water Management and Water Management Facilities are met
- Provide senior level technical review of permitting applications and regulatory submissions
- Support the development of requests for proposal, work planning and other tendering documents to advance key water-related projects
About Teck Successful candidates must be willing to satisfy the pre-employment requirements of a pre-employment drug screen and three professional references.
- Degree in Engineering or Science, in civil engineering, hydrology, hydrogeology, or related field
- Eligible for registration or registered with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of B.C. (EGBC); Teck will support eligible employees with their EGBC registration
- Minimum five years of experience in an industrial environment, preferably in mining, or oil and gas
- Strong project management and delivery experience, including experience delivering small-, medium- and large-size multi-stakeholders' projects
- Experience leading the development and implementation of water management programs, and risk evaluation of water quality and quantity
- Technical knowledge of federal and provincial mining water practices and regulatory compliance
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.Job Segment:
Coal Mining, Sustainability, Civil Engineer, Wastewater, Mining, Energy, Engineering
Construction, Mining and Trades