May 20, 2021
Reporting to the Senior Lead, Biodiversity Terrestrial, the Lead, Environment Biodiversity is responsible for leading the biodiversity management program and support permitting applications. You will design, manage and monitor activities and mitigations, including, but not limited to those described in site-specific Biodiversity Management Plans to support ongoing and future coal mining operations. You will also design and manage efforts to improve our understanding of impacts and mitigation success. You will lead and support the development of monitoring programs at our coal operations in the Elk Valley, British Columbia, other Teck operations in BC and Alberta, as well as at sites entering the closure stage of mining.
To be successful we are looking for someone who can work as a member of a team in a fast-paced environment. Someone with outstanding organizational, interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills, who can effectively engage and collaborate with partners with varying backgrounds, and at different levels of the organization. Someone who is a self-starter, has strong problem solving skills, and can prioritize contending demands.
Join us in the breathtaking Elk Valley of British Columbia. Here you will find outdoor adventure at your fingertips. Whether it's biking and skiing, or the laid-back atmosphere of fishing and hiking, there is something for everyone! Responsibilities
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Oversee the monitoring and updating of Biodiversity Management Plans at active and closed operations within the coal business unit
- Design and lead the implementation of biodiversity mitigation action plans at operations and coordinate efforts across multiple operations
- Develop and refine technical tools to support biodiversity management efforts, including mitigation efficacy
- Lead and supervise a team, including consultants and contractors, to support and implement biodiversity monitoring, management, and rehabilitation projects
- Coordinate with personnel at operations to implement biodiversity activities and support management of regulatory and permit requirements
- Interact with regulators, local First Nations and communities of interest to seek feedback regarding biodiversity management planning and implementation
- Provide detailed reporting on scope, schedule, and budget of biodiversity related projects, including working with operations and regulatory approvals teams to develop cost estimates for annual budgeting cycles
- Understand, interpret, and advise on existing and emerging federal and provincial regulations related to biodiversity management issues
- Identify areas for innovation to ensure continuous improvement of Teck's biodiversity management program
- Assist with preparing regulatory approval submissions, acting as a subject matter specialist for understanding biodiversity-related impacts and implementing biodiversity management and mitigation strategies
- Science degree or diploma in an environmental-related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum five years demonstrated ability working in environmental or biodiversity management in the natural resource sector, with experience in project management
- Demonstrated experience in designing, implementing, and monitoring biodiversity mitigation and rehabilitation projects
- Experience with biodiversity and conservation programs at the provincial, federal, and global level
- Ability to provide critical review and subject matter input for regulatory submissions
- Experience working with First Nations, regulatory agencies, and communities of interest
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources. Job Segment:
Environmental Engineering, Rehabilitation, Law, Sustainability, Healthcare, Engineering, Legal, Mining, Energy