Closing: February 23, 2024
TheLead, Data & Information is an experienced data geoscientist who will provide technical leadership in project generation for greenfield ore discoveries in new frontiers. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading all aspects of GIS and data management. The role includes proactively engaging with project and technical leaders to design, implement and oversee efficient and robust data and information management solutions that are aligned with Teck's approach across the business unit.
The ideal candidate is highly competent with industry leading database and GIS applications, has a working knowledge of information and file management procedures and guidelines. The incumbent will facilitate continuous improvement and innovations in acquisition, storage, management, access, integration, and analysis of a wide range of spatial data. The candidate should demonstrate a basic understanding of technical, commercial, and strategic elements of mineral exploration to ensure that data and information systems are optimized. Experience or a keen interest in gesocience, GenerativeAI, and machine learning will be foundational in advancing targeting techniques for project generation.
A proven ability to collaborate with and contribute to high-performing multidisciplinary teams is critical along with maintaining strong relationships across similar disciplines internally and externally.The role will initially report to the Technical Lead, Data & Information. Responsibilities:
- Be a Courageous Safety Leader, adhere to and sponsor health, safety, community and environment policies, procedures, and systems, including emergency response plans and hazard and risk assessments.
- Contribute to and support a data management strategy, procedures, workflows, and standards that align with the Teck Exploration policies with the goal of improving organization, accessibility, security, and quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) of existing and new multi-discipline data.
- Administer enterprise database systems for drilling and sampling (acQuire), spatial GIS content (ESRI), 3D modelling (Leapfrog Central) and other related content (SharePoint, etc) where applicable.
- Collaborates with office, site and operations employees to understand business objectives and to provide guidance and advice for the efficient, appropriate and cost-effective management of project information throughout its lifecycle.
- Identify, plan, and implement new data capture tools as appropriate leveraging mobile and cloud solutions where possible and appropriate to facilitate real-time integrated data driven decision making.
- Collaborate with project teams to ensure data management and storage in robust databases on an appropriate frequency with validation embedded as required. Oversee and maintain existing file repositories and integrate into enterprise systems where appropriate.
- Support design and implementation of data integration workflows, queries and other methods of providing content from multiple data types and sources to users in a sustainable and scalable manner.
- Assist with design and implementation of automated, on-line technical and business reporting as required via the use of enterprise business intelligence tools.
- Perform quality assurance on generated results to enforce data integrity and ensure metadata and spatial data standards are maintained.
- Keep abreast on innovative solutions in data and content management in the industry and within Teck.Make recommendations for continuous improvement opportunities in existing data and information related systems.
- Provide training and mentorship to project staff of all disciplines to ensure proper use of tools, software, and content management procedures.
Why Join Us?
- At least 8 years experience in GIS and database applications at an advanced level. A sound experience in the resource industry, and especially working in a greenfield exploration group is key.
- Bachelor in Earth Sciences or Geoscience discipline and/or specialized certification in GIS. A post-graduate degree is considered an asset.For certain experience profiles, candidates with a post-secondary degree in database systems may also be considered.
- Experience and proficiency with SQL databases is required (implementation, management, querying). Knowledge of python scripting is preferred.
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills are required.Demonstrated ability to work effectively within diverse teams.
- Able to work in teams with minimal supervision; results orientated with excellent organizational, planning, prioritization, problem solving and execution skills.
- Specific software suite skill sets preferred for the role are:
- Proficiency in acQuire & Arena is preferred, specifically acQuire Practioner (ACQ2000) certification.
- Experience with ESRI's Arc Enterprise systems is strongly preferred including implementation and management of ESRI spatial data environments and related tools (e.g. ArcMap, ArcPro, Portal, ArcGIS online).
- Extensive knowledge of mobile field collection platforms including ArcGIS Collector, Field maps and Survey123.
- Experience in data analytical and dashboarding programs including Power BI and ArcGIS Insights.
- Experience with spatial data querying and processing especially within the ESRI environment is preferred.
- Experience with FME (server and desktop) for spatial file conversion and automation tasks.
- Experience and skills in other relevant GIS and 3D software (ioGAS, Leapfrog, Oasis Montaj, GoCAD, Krux, Imago, MX Deposit).
- Experience with GIS mobile data acquisition and integration; experience with supporting general hardware and software requirements and needs in an Exploration environment.
- Basic understanding of general aspects of field exploration program execution, including surface mapping, drill program execution, geochemical and geophysical program execution
At Teck, we offer more than just a job - we provide a pathway to personal and professional enrichment. With captivating projects set against stunning backdrops, a culture of inclusivity and collaboration, and boundless opportunities to learn and grow, joining us means embracing a fulfilling and dynamic career adventure.
Teck employees receive access to our total rewards program and comprehensive benefits package that promote physical, mental, financial, and emotional well-being. This includes but is not limited to:
- Annual Performance Bonus
- Profit Share Plan
- Health Spending Account
- Personal Spending Account
- Extended Health Care
- Dental and Vision Care
- Employer Paid Pension Plan
- Life Insurance and Disability Coverage
- Paid Sick Leave, Vacation and Holidays
- Virtual Telemedicine and additional support for overall well-being
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
$101,000 - $125,000
The actual base salary offered is determined based on the successful candidate's relevant experience, skills, and competencies and considers internal equity.About Teck
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution. Qualified applicants interested in joining dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets. Teck has been named one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for the six consecutive years. Teck has also been named to the Forbes list of the World's Best Employers for the past two years and is one of Canada's Top Employers for Young People . Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources Job Segment:
QA, Quality Assurance, Embedded, Cloud, Sustainability, Technology, Quality, Energy