As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
Reporting to the Director, Provincial Analytics Solutions Architecture, the Lead, Data Architecture & Business Intelligence, provides leadership and direction for the strategic and tactical operations of a multi-disciplinary team responsible for the planning, design, development, deployment, and management of new and existing data warehouse, business intelligence (BI), and analytics solutions serving designated portfolios of PHSA programs and services. The Lead provides technical leadership, senior-level expertise, and promotes analytics solutions and the use of Enterprise Data Warehouse to enable the organization's strategy and vision within a complex and dynamic health care environment. The Lead is responsible for both the day-to-day operations and leading assigned projects for the portfolio; directly supervises staff, mentors, provides guidance and direction, and evaluates staff performance; and assists the Director with the hiring, disciplining and termination of staff. In collaboration with the Director, the Lead is accountable for the development, assessment and analysis of an annual operating budget.What you'll do:
What you bring:
- Manage teams of designated Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence Specialists, Business Analysts, and contractors to develop and implement high-quality solutions that meet the Enterprise Data Architecture standards. Establish clear definitions of responsibility for each employee, reviews workload assignments, and adjust schedules according to workload levels to meet operational and project delivery requirements. Monitor compliance of the teams to an advanced and "best practice" set of technical and data standards across PHSA to improve business intelligence, advance analytics solutions and further research excellence.
- Cultivate and maintain internal relationships within the department and other key contacts including Analytic Networks Directors, corporate and clinical areas, IMITS, and other departments and services across PHSA to collaborate, reach consensus, persuade and negotiate timelines and resourcing arrangements. Build partnerships externally with other Health Authorities, Ministry of Health, professional associations, and other external organizations to attain and disseminate data, and collaborate on cross-organizational analytical and data systems and methodologies development. Represent portfolio on committees at leadership levels with regard to data systems architecture, data standards, appropriate usage, availability and quality.
- Lead architecture and implementation of analytics solutions to develop, enhance and improve analytics and use of data at various PHSA programs and external stakeholders. This includes leading the high-level conceptual design of complex data marts, multidimensional cubes or other semantic models, reports, dashboards and other front-end interfaces, and providing technical expertise in the development of the solutions by assessing client needs and requirements, and reviewing and approving technical options. Collaborate with peers and team members on conceptual design, development, and implementation of the Enterprise Data Warehouse.
- Lead the identification of new data sources and negotiates data acquirements methods with source system owners, data stewards and IMITS resources. Provide advice and direction on data availability and quality, and work flow and process optimizations that lead to higher quality data.
- Through consultation with the Director and active engagement of peers and other staff, establish, maintain and evaluate architectural, security, and quality standards; change management and service management policy and procedures, to meet the highest security, privacy, and quality of developed and deployed solutions and data, and timely service delivery. Serve as a project manager for assigned projects, including the development, monitoring and evaluation of project plans and deliverables.
- Participate in the development, definition and reporting of performance indicators as related to program operations, access and throughput, for use at the program director and executive level. Liaise on behalf of the organization with external consultants on the provisioning of patient-specific data, as well as providing education on analysis and interpretation.
- Maintain familiarity with the latest on-premises and cloud analytics technologies, and an awareness of current clinical and business information system trends and issues. Evaluate and recommend products or methods to deliver analytics and Business Intelligence in an accurate, timely and user-friendly manner.
- Recruit staff by identifying vacancies, interviewing applicants, determining suitability, and making hiring decisions. Supervise staff, encourage open dialogue and cooperation, and continuously evaluate individual and team performance. Create a work environment that fosters a high level of employee satisfaction and engagement by providing learning opportunities, strong communication and team-oriented activities. Investigate work and staff issues, clarify roles and outline expectations, provide feedback and address issues in real time, determine educational needs and create learning plans, and make discipline and dismissal decisions in consultation with the Director.
- Assist the Director in the development of operations and capital expense budgets. Investigate budget variances and initiate corrective action or justifies non-adherence. Identify data and trends to be used for future budget planning, and provides budget justification.
What's in it for you:
- A Master's degree in computer science, health informatics or a related field, plus seven (7) to (10) years of recent, related experience in architecture, implementation, and management of data warehouse and business intelligence solutions in the health care sector, including a minimum of two (2) years' experience in a progressively more responsible management role. Strong understanding of health care system operations and public and population health concepts is an asset.
- Proven leadership and managerial skills in a large and complex work environment. Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills including the ability to collaborate, facilitate, negotiate, and persuade others, and make decisions.
- Superior analytical and problem-solving, people and organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to lead teams and promote teamwork.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Ability to supervise staff and to provide leadership, customer relations, and problem-solving options to lead a variety of initiatives and achieve desired results within critical timeframes.
- Ability to respond to the needs of the stakeholders and prioritize and manage multiple tasks and requests.
- Knowledge of the Canadian health care information management standards such as the CIHI MIS Guidelines, Workload Measurement Systems, CIHI Discharge Abstract Databases, etc. Familiarity with major business and clinical information systems.
- Expert knowledge and understanding of business intelligence and data warehouse principles. Expertise and experience in application of best practices of data standards, database design, data architecture and modelling. Expertise in managing large-scale data warehouse transformations, relational and multi-dimensional databases and data marts, visualizations, advanced analytics and big data solutions.
- Superior database querying, and query optimization skills using Structured Query Language -preferably T-SQL, MDX or DAX or equivalents.
- Proven experience in design, architecture, implementation and operation of large multi-platform, scalable analytical solutions.
- Advanced knowledge of development, change management, version control, and service management tools.
- High level of expertise with Microsoft Office.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Regular Full-Time Location:
1333 W. Broadway Vancouver, BC
Open until position is filled
LDABI-2344226 About Us
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). PHSA provides specialized health services to British Columbians, including cancer care, organ transplantation, pediatrics, emergency services, mental health and substance use services. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: https://jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.