LABOURER (ENGINEERING CONSTRUCTION) (Temporary, Full-time)
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations, West Vancouver is a vibrant community on the North Shore and home to parks, beaches, and to sports, recreation and arts amenities. Our dedicated staff deliver services, operate facilities and run the programs that enhance the well-being of our community. We are seeking employees with a passion for public service who share our commitment to creating a complete, inclusive and livable community.
The District of West Vancouver's Engineering Construction Department is currently looking for enthusiastic and hard-working temporary full-time Labourers to join our Uitlities Construction and Roads team. The successful candidate will perform a variety of manual tasks working in the Utilities Construction or Roads department. These tasks can includes:
The successful candidates will demonstrate the ability to:
- Performing a variety of tasks in the construction or operation of water, sewer and storm utility systems;
- Locating and repairing leaks, assisting in the installation, repair, and servicing of water, sewer and storm systems;
- Performing pavement restoration - paving, pot hole repairs, and lane grading
- Street road maintenance - ditching, slashing, and sidewalk repairs
- cleaning trucks and equipment as needed;
- maintaining equipment in a safe and secure manner;
- operating basic hand and power tools; such as, shovels, pipe saws, plate tamper, etc.;
- maintaining daily pick-up records;
- provide manual labourer assistance on various tasks and assignments;
- other related duties as required.
Preference will be given to candidates with any of the following credentials:
- Work effectively and efficiently in a team environment while maintaining a safety first mentality;
- use a variety of tools for general maintenance and construction work;
- work outdoors in a physically demanding role in all types of weather conditions;
- Experience or training in utilities construction or road construction;
- EOCP Certification.
Possession of a valid Class 1 or 3 BC Drivers Licence is considered an asset.
The candidates must hold a valid BC Class 5 Driver's License. Please upload a copy of your ICBC Driver's Abstract and Claim's History with your application.
The successful candidates are required to supply an acceptable driver's abstract, claims history, police information check and a copy of their credentials. All District of West Vancouver employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of hire.
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licenses and certificates required of candidates. For details please refer to the Class Specification which is available for inspection in the Human Resources Department or on WestNet. Position Status:
Union (WVMEA) - Temporary, Full-timeHours of Work:
40 hours per week (hours and days of work may vary)Starting Rate of Pay:
$27.45 per hour plus 12% in lieu of benefits.
This position has a pay structure with three steps which increase based on hours completed in the position.Closing Date:
Please visit the District of West Vancouver's Career Portal at www.westvancouver.ca/careers
to apply for this position. Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept applications via email or hard copy.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.