Laboratory Assistant, Virology, BCCDC
Vancouver, BC As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Laboratory Assistant, BCCDC performs general laboratory procedures and clerical functions such as accessioning specimens, preparing specimens for testing, preparing culture media and stock solutions, data entry, receiving and relaying phone messages, producing labels, and sorting and distributing mail. What you'll do
What you bring
- Receive incoming specimens and requisitions and check for accuracy and completeness of information such a personal health number, name, date of birth and tests required, assign laboratory numbers, and assemble into work batches for testing. Contact clients for missing information and make necessary corrections.
- Prepare specimens for testing by performing duties such as staining slides, performing concentration procedures, choosing appropriate primary culture media, inoculating to various media, and placing in incubators in accordance with established procedures.
- Prepare culture media and stock solutions by performing duties such as weighing dehydrated media and chemicals, dissolving in water or other solvents, measuring PH and adjusting as required, dispensing media, and sterilizing by filtration or autoclaving.
- Monitor supplies and equipment, take inventories, consult with users, identify requirements, prepare order requisitions for signature, and maintain related stock control records. Liaise with supervisor regarding problems with inventory and related systems.
- Receive and check orders, verify accuracy of invoices, stock shelves, check stored media/chemicals/reagents for proper storage and dating, and distribute supplies. Contact suppliers to obtain information and to resolve discrepancies.
- Grade 12.
- Successful completion of a recognized Lab Assistant training program
- One (1) year's recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
You will have the ability to:
What we bring
- Type 25 wpm.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Operate keyboard, perform data entry, use word processing and email
- Work independently and in cooperation with others
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
- Organize work.
- Operate related equipment.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Seven (7)Regular, Full-Time Opportunities Wage:
$25.31 per hour Location:
655 W 12th Ave, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4R4 Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Hours of Work:
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Stats; Rotating; 1500 - 2300 Requisition #
129609E, 129611E, 129613E, 129614E, 129615E, 129616E, and 129617E What we do
Lower Mainland Laboratories (LM Labs) provides laboratory testing at 31 sites across the lower mainland and central coast of BC, including acute care hospital laboratories and specialty laboratories. LM Labs is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and LM Labs are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment. ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of July 11, 2022
. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264
. Please note regular business hours are Monday - Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.