Laboratory Assistant, Royal Columbian Hospital
New Westminster, BC As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021
. What you'll do
What you bring
- Collect blood and other specimens and label with relevant information according to Fraser Health policies. This includes sweat collections, breath collections, capillary gases, venous and capillary blood
samples, and other specimens as required. Assist in the collection of fine needle aspirations by providing clerical support.
- Prepare specimen for analysis by centrifuging, aliquoting, and distributing specimens by priority including Microbiology, Pathology and Cytology specimens and assisting with gross exams. Stain, mount, and label slides.
- Perform clerical duties as required including computer data entry for patient information and tests. Communicate test results to designated parties and handle inquiries from other health team members.
- Clean, operate and maintain equipment such as temperature checks on fridges, incubators, autoclaves and water bath. Inform appropriate staff of problems with equipment as per established
- Prepare reagents, media, and specimen collection material and distribute as required. Receive, store and ship specimens and other materials. Prepare, handle, and transport specimens for preanalytical
and post-analytical storage, including discarding specimens as per accepted protocols.
- Load specimens for analysis on barcode enhanced automated and semi-automated equipment only.
- Grade 12.
- Successful completion of a recognized Lab Assistant training program
- One (1) year's recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
You will have the ability to:
What we bring
- Type 25 wpm.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
- Organize work.
- Operate related equipment.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
Job Type: Temporary, Full-Time (until December 01, 2022)
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our S a n'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Wage: $25.31 per hour
Location: 330 East Columbia Street, New Westminster, BC V3L 3W7
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of Work: Rotating; Variable
126372E What we do
Lower Mainland Laboratories (LML) provides laboratory testing at 31 sites across the lower mainland and central coast of B.C., including acute care hospital laboratories and and specialty laboratories.
LML is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and LML are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment. ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of May 16, 2022
. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264
. Please note regular business hours are Monday - Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.